Red Velvet Cake

The air had become cooler, Tess kept her friend close to her, walking briskly along the paths of the garden."Honey, if you want to go to the beach to tell me what happened to you, I suggest you change your mind, there you would only find my brother intent on dishonoring some already dishonored daughter of Mr. Montgomery"Tess looked at her and abruptly changed direction. She went up through the Lullaby lawn, towards the hill that housed the wrought iron gazebo. The fast pace didn't leave her friend with enough breath to reply with a few more jokes.Once they arrived they both stopped to admire the bay, the orchestra playing in the distance, exchanging chords with the first cicadas of the season."Where""...""Where did you find Eva?""I went up to the kitchen to secretly ask Nora for something to eat. You know my mother tells us not to eat more than two canapés at parties, so as not to seem greedy. Never be, that woman will make me sad.""Evelyn, stop it""Sorry, well, I was in the kitchen and Nora was slicing me some bread to spread salted butter and salmon on, holy woman, when my gaze fell on the Red Velvet ready for your father's grand finale. Next to it was your ring. A little further on Diego stopped with his hands resting on the wall. It seemed clear enough to me that the time had come to bring it back to you. I took it and ran to you"."And him? He didn't say anything?""He turned around, he looked at me smiling and quickly got back to work. Now, not that I particularly need to, I'd say it's all clear enough, but do you want to explain?"Tess looked her friend straight into her eyes. They had shared every moment of their lives, but she didn't feel ready to tell what she still didn't fully understand.She remained silent. She felt her eyes water with tears."Tess listen, I know you're the least qualified to do this, but somewhere there's a guy who's more like a Kentia than a man who plans to marry you in three months. If you've changed your mind, which I wholeheartedly hope, it's your duty to let him know right away."Eve's comparison made her smile, so was this really what she thought of Will?"You do not like it?" she heard herself say."I'm not saying I don't like it. He is a good boy, good and honest. I don't like him for you," she sighed deeply to bring out the courage she didn't have, "I don't want you to end up running away somewhere in the world not to suffocate."It was clear who he meant.Evelyn had had that thought for too long, she feared her friend's reaction but she felt it was her duty to warn her against fleeing a boring and unhappy marriage. She would have run away from that man, from that city and therefore also from her. She couldn't bear it."I will not leave Eve."The next morning Therese woke up wrapped in the Egyptian cotton sheets her mother had wanted to buy for her room, her parents having slept apart for years. Sheets that Nora, the Hackman family housekeeper, with her sharp practical sense, had seen fit not to turn yellow in her closets by using them in Tess's room.That was the clearest sign that her mother was never coming home. However the girl didn't ask any questions, in reality she had never asked any, preferring to accept the exchange, after all it was a matter of excellent sheets.The garden resounded with the work of the hotel workers and waiters intent on restoring the hall to its normal appearance. The party was over. Summer has just begun.The Lullaby's breakfast room had been decorated by Dauphine, Tess's mother, with the elegance and frivolity of Parisian patisseries. The pastel tones, a few touches of gold leaf, the comfortable wooden chairs with satin upholstery, with hand-embroidered peonies. Here and there a few oriental touches, just mentioned, gave an exotic allure that is always much appreciated by tourists from northern cities.Teresa sat down at the table that had been reserved for her since she was a child, next to the large glass door, a few meters from her piano."Do you want miss?""Good morning Adam, black coffee, pineapple juice with a few drops of lemon and pancakes. Maple syrup, thank you.""Her father held a slice of red velvet cake for you miss, we didn't see each other for the closing speech and toast""Thanks Adam, I was tired, a sudden headache. I hope all went well""As always, Miss Hackman. I'll be right back with her breakfast""Adam?""Yes Madam?""Can you ask Nora if... no, nothing, thanks anyway"The old waiter had seen her growing up at that table, going from fresh milk to hot coffee, she had understood that this wasn't the time to insist. Nora could talk to her and comfort her later.After breakfast Tess decided to go down to the sea, she would walk up to the old wharf, reaching the lighthouse.The scent of the salt air was pleasant and, although the coast was protected from the storms, that day the water seemed rougher than usual.We are both agitated, thought the girl.She walked along the old pier where, as children, she and Eve improvised games of pirates and princesses, forcing her friend's brother to sometimes impersonate a dangerous shark, other times a fearsome pirate.Once she arrived at the lighthouse, she stayed for a few moments to enjoy the splendid day, scrutinizing the sailboats plowing the waves on that first Sunday in June.Free, fast, but never too far from her eyes.