And Why Even Cry?

Everything dies eventually, from flora to fauna to humans.

And so, through all those long years, memories of which had long faded to oblivion, why even cry over another death?

Alden was old and frail, only getting up when necessary. He often had a kind neighbor stop by.

Alden was still human. And humans die eventually. All of them. Even if they lived for more than a hundred years.

Who was even the first to die?

Maybe a little explorer. Maybe a girl with beads or a man who wanted to fly through the sky.

Those memories were gone, forever and ever and would never be returned.

(They didn't know their actual name. Amara, Amalthea, La Luna, the Devil)

(Were they even human from the start? Who were they?)

All those people they met, mostly dead. More would die, because they were human. Mortal.

It was inevitable for them to decay and rot.

And with time, the memories would fade out, with the only evidence of their existence being when they shifted into what should be a familiar body, a familiar face. And it would repeat over and over.

And so when Alden, old and frail Alden who they knew since he was a child, passed away in midday, they (Amara, Amalthea, La Luna, the Devil and many more names) barely blinked.

The sensation lingered in their bones, their heart. But they didn't dare cry. Not even a tear.

(Deep down, they knew who was behind it. Or rather who was there as Alden passed)

So many people died over the many, many years they had existed. Almost all of which they couldn't remember the voices of, their names or hobbies, leaving a hole of sorts in the Being's heart.

But their life went on with no end in sight, and there were barely memories to be remembered.

Alden would become one of those many people.

So why even cry?