Mother's day

The way I woke up this morning wasn't like how I usually did. There was no crying, no insistent tapping on my shoulder, and no tiny voices telling me they wanted ice cream for breakfast. But today was different, I woke up alone.

I rolled over onto my side and sure enough, Harry wasn't there. I yawned and looked around the room, letting my eyes linger on the sunlight streaming through the thin, gauzy white curtains hanging over the window.

Smiling softly I pulled the sheets further up over my shoulders adjusting the pillow under my head and closing my eyes again. I'd caught a glimpse of the alarm clock, seeing it read 10:45 am. It was rare that I got to sleep in.

These mornings were early regardless of why I woke up, be it the kids or work or recently, what seemed like a stomach bug sending me to the washroom early in the morning. Harry tried to send me to the doctor, but I had assured him nothing was wrong. I'd had checked out myself, and it was anything but wrong.

I opened my eyes again as I heard the calm voice of Harry outside the bedroom door. "Okay guys, go on in, careful Margie, don't drop the there, you got it."

I smiled softly as the door opened and our two little girls padded into the room, each carefully concentrating on not dropping their respective items.

I sat up and let the sheets pool around my hips as Marjorie, my eldest leaned up to put the plate of pancakes she held on the side table. She was six and already shared her dad's bright smile and dimples.

She clambered up onto the bed and into my lap. "Happy mama's day, mama!" she exclaimed, throwing her tiny arms around my neck. I smiled and kissed her cheek as my son carefully placed a fork and a slightly crumpled napkin beside the plate.

Matilda was four, and where Marjorie was loud, extroverted, and loved attention, Matilda was shy, quiet, and loved listening to her sister's performances in the living room. She also couldn't reach the top of the mattress, so Harry had to lift her and set him down beside me with a smile.

Matilda snuggled into my side and pressed a sloppy kiss to my cheek, smiling brightly with self-satisfaction.

"This is so nice, you guys," I said stroking my children's soft curls. "Thank you," I smiled and looked up at Harry, who had placed a knife and a glass of juice beside the plate. "We thought you'd like pancakes, we haven't made them in a while."

"I love it," I said softly, tilting my head to meet Harry's lips. I laughed as Marjorie made loud noises of protest against the action, Matilda seemed unbothered.

She was too young, I always think his parent's kissing was gross. Harry pulled away and ruffled Marjorie's hair, flopping down on the other side of the bed and pulling her into his lap. "That's right baby girl, kissing is bad and you shouldn't do it until you're married," he laughed.

I snorted and squeezed his shoulder before grabbing the pancakes and starting to eat. "Mm, this is so good, did you make it Tilly?" I looked down at her and smiled as she laughed and shook her head. "No mama," she said as if it wasn't obvious. "Daddy made it! But let me mix!" she said with excitement.

"I put the spray on!" Marjorie added, both of them looking incredibly proud of themselves.

"You did?" I gasped, looking at them with a face full of awe and excitement. "That's great!"

They giggled and I smiled, finishing off the pancakes and placing the plate back on the side table.

"Hungry, hm?" Harry remarked, running his hands through Matilda's hair. "Yeah, I've been hungrier recently, I guess," I shrugged a little and let Matilda move into my lap, rubbing circles into her back softly.