Is the Rapture Pre-Trib or Post-Trib?

By Eli Kittim

Recently, Thomas Ice, a theologian and author of books on biblical prophecy, has cited the Apocalypse of Pseudo-Ephraem as being a representative document of the early church's belief in a pre-tribulational rapture. However, this is a misleading statement because Pseudo-Ephraem is most certainly not representative of the early Christian writings or the early church. It is a forgery, which is falsely attributed to the church father Ephrem the Syrian. C. P. Caspari (Latin text editor) and other scholars have suggested a date between the 6th and 8th centuries.

Is the Rapture Visible or Invisible?

The putative secret rapture and the futurist eschatological view of prophecy were largely developed by Cardinal Robert Bellarmine (1542-1621) and Jesuit theologian Francisco Ribera (1537-1591) during the Counter-Reformation, and were later co-opted by the 19th century Bible teacher, John Nelson Darby. In modern times, author Hal Lindsey popularized this view in his best-selling 1970 book, The Late, Great Planet Earth.

Given that 1 Cor. 15.51-52 says that "we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye," this New Testament (NT) passage is adduced by Bible prophecy scholars to explain that "the body of Christ" (i.e. the church) will suddenly vanish and disappear. Recently, both Dr. Ed Hindson and pastor Mark Hitchcock also used 1 Cor. 15.51-52 to support a secret and instant rapture in which the faithful "in Christ" will evanesce. In fact, in their book Can we still believe in the Rapture? they aver that even Jesus will not be visibly seen except only by the faithful. Despite the fact that these authors have a penchant for rigorous scholarship, since they tout themselves as Bible prophecy pundits, they have nevertheless prescinded numerous contradictory passages. Rev. 1.7 is a case in point: "He [Jesus] is coming with the clouds; every eye will see him." Similarly, Mt. 24.30 says: "they will see 'the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven' with power and great glory." In fact, the coming of the Son of Man is likened to lightning, which "comes from the east and flashes as far as the west" (Mt. 24.27). Therefore, there will clearly be a visible and physical manifestation of Jesus' coming in the sky! After which "he will send out his angels ... and they will gather his elect" (Mt. 24.31).

Another reason why the rapture is reputed to be a secret is because 2 Pet. 3.10 says that "the day of the Lord will come like a thief." However, notice that "the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire." This verse evinces that "a loud noise" will be heard and that the physical properties of the earth will be destroyed in a great conflagration. Thus, the key components of this experience unambiguously comprise audible, visible, and physical phenomena.

A further reason for the supposed "secret rapture" has to do with the postmortem changes in the human body that are said to make it imperishable and immortal (1 Cor. 15.53). But just because "the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed" (1 Cor. 15.52), doesn't mean that the rapture is inaudible or invisible. Even if Paul is talking about an eminently spiritualized body doesn't mean that it cannot be seen. For instance, Jesus is depicted as being both visible and physical after his purported resurrection. By way of illustration, the disciples allegedly "ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead" (Acts 10.41), and he was also said to be physically touched by Thomas (Jn 20.27).

What is more, all the Biblical evidence contradicts the notion that the rapture will be visible only to a select few. For example, similar to Jesus' loud, audible shout during the rapture in 1 Thess. 4.16, Jer. 25.30 also prophesies that "The Lord will roar from on high ... and shout" when he appears. This is a running theme throughout the Bible. It's reminiscent of Psalm 50.3: "Our God comes and does not keep silence." Thus, the most viable interpretation of these verses must of necessity render the grounds for the secret rapture untenable!