Time Management and A Few Cat Naps

It would be worth it in the long run.

Marinette would sacrifice herself. Not in any melodramatic way; she would simply sacrifice her well being.

Her family was worth it. The kwamis were worth it. Her employees were worth it.

So there was no other option.

Instead of going back to bed, Marinette stayed in her office. She turned on her computer, logged in to the server, and got to work.

Everything that could get done remotely would be done overnight at home now. The things that couldn't be done remotely would be done during the day at the office. She just had to be smart and get better at her time management.

Around five in the morning, Marinette finally returned to bed, but not before setting the alarm on her phone.

An hour later, the alarm sounded, and was promptly turned off to avoid waking Adrien. Determined to make things up to him, she got up and took a quick shower before getting dressed. Then she took it upon herself to drag the kids out of bed and help them get ready for school. After that, she made breakfast for everyone.

When his alarm went off at their regular waking time, Adrien was surprised to find that Marinette was missing from their bed. Then he was even more surprised to find that she had already accomplished everything that he normally did in the mornings.

She was washing the dishes at the sink when he went up to her. "Princess," he murmured. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I uh, just wanted to make sure that you had a good day today," Marinette said quietly. "You know, since I kind of ruined your birthday yesterday."

"You didn't ruin it…"

"We both know that I did."

Adrien sighed, wrapping her up from behind and resting his chin on her shoulder. They remained like that until she was done with the dishes. Then she whispered as she turned around to face him. "I'm sorry, Kitty."

"You're already forgiven, Princess," he whispered back, brushing her hair away from her face.

She smiled a little before they joined their lips together in a kiss.

Both Emma and Louis giggled when they looked up from their pancakes and saw their parents. Hugo just kept eating.

"Mommy?" Emma finally asked, interrupting them. "Can we make macarons together after you get home from work today?"

Adrien started answering on her behalf. "I'm sorry, sweetie, but Mommy has to work late toni…"

"Of course we can," Marinette said over him.

He looked at her and raised his eyebrows.

The twins squealed from joy. "I want chocolate!" Louis yelled out.

Hugo kept eating his breakfast.

"Marinette," Adrien said in a low whisper so only she could hear. "I know how busy you've been. You don't have to come home early for this. I'll help the kids make the macarons."

With a head tilt, she smiled. "I'll be here to help them," she whispered back. "You need to save all of your energy for tonight. I have a lot of making up to do to you."

He raised his eyebrows again before smiling like an idiot.

************************************

That day set the pattern for the week. Every morning Marinette got up early to make breakfast and help with the kids. Then she would head off to work. On the train ride there, she would catch a few zzz's to try and make up for some of the sleep she was missing at night. When she got to the building, she put all her effort towards the things that had to be done in person: meetings, inspections, and the like.