Chapter 1: Stormy Soul

I lay on my side, gazing out my window-silent tears streaming down my face, stinging the cut on my lip. A cool breeze blew the curtain, kissing my face.

With my legs curled up perfectly to my chest, I had my sheet tucked around me in a tight cocoon.

Why? Why did my-life have to be like this?

There was a sudden creak from my bedroom door being opened.

Insanity I cringed. Was he back? Now after getting a drink, was he going to hit me again?

"Y/N?" A soft voice broke the stillness of the night.

My shoulders slumped in relief, and I could not help the sob that escaped my mouth. "Mom."

"Oh honey," At once my mother was at my side, callused hand stroking through my hair as she rubbed my back.

"Mom, why does he hate us?" I sobbed. This question has always been on my mind-why? There were those few days when everything seemed fine-when we went to town and actually seemed like a family. But at home-usually things escalated very downhill.

The slightest thing set my father off and he was not one to easily forget an offense.

"I don't know Y/N," Mom whispered, planting a tearful kiss on my forehead. "I don't know."

For a moment we were silent tears rolling down both our faces.

Then I spoke. "Mom, tell me about when you first met dad.'' Sometimes it helped to think of the beginning-when everything was fine, before my dad got a new job-before he changed.

My mother was silent. She shifted on the bed, pulling the sheet up over my shoulder. "Well, when I met your father, it was at a party. He was dating my friend...."

"...And you were dating his friend," Smiling, I stifled a yawn. I winced as pain from my swelling lip throbbed at the motion.

"Yes," My mom ran her hand through my thick black hair again. "It was love at first sight-we both spent the whole night staring at each other...six weeks later and we were walking down the church aisle."

"You looked beautiful in your wedding dress," my eyes flickered as I thought of the picture my mom kept tucked away in her dresser drawer-her with her raven straight black hair dangling down her waist-her white mermaid gown fitting her hourglass figure perfectly. She was looking up into my dad's eyes. He was in a tuxedo-brown hair slicked back.

While I had my mom's figure and hair-I had my dad's eyes and face.

"That is the only time your dad wore a suit," Mom said softly with a chuckle.

Laughing, I yawned and snuggled deeper under the cover. "I love you mom."

"I love you too Y/N-you're my little spark of joy," Mom kissed my forehead. She was silent when she spoke, jolting me. "Y/N-things...things are going to be changing but I want you to know, I'll always love you."

"hmmm," I was half-asleep, starting to drift off fully into dreamland too. Now I tucked my hand under my pillow as my eyes shut fully. "Love you too mom..."

*********************