CHAPTER 2

Things escalated over the next few days as Sophia and Emily both doubled down in their pursuit of Jake. Emily began flirting openly with him between classes. At the football game, Sophia cheered extra loudly from the stands when he scored a touchdown.

A mutual friend's birthday party that weekend brought them face to face once more. Sparks flew as Emily deliberately interrupted Sophia and Jake's conversation. Harsh words were exchanged until the host kicked them out, worried it would turn physical.

The next afternoon, both girls wandered aimlessly around the park, lost in their own turmoil. Suddenly Sophia looked up to find Emily sitting on a bench across the way. Their eyes met with uncertainty. After a long pause, Sophia took a seat beside her old friend.

"I'm sorry," they said in unison, and managed weak laughter through their tears. As they talked through the past weeks and remembered simpler times, the weight on their hearts began to lift. By dusk, the bond of their childhood was starting to mend...

The afternoon sun was warm on Sophia's back as she wandered aimlessly through the park. She found herself on the winding path that led to her and Emily's favorite hiding spot - an oak tree overlooking the duck pond.

As she approached the bend in the trail, Sophia's steps slowed. Through the bushes she spotted a figure sitting alone on the big rocks. Even from behind, she'd know that long brown hair anywhere.

Emily.

Her friend must have had the same idea to come here for solace. Sophia's heart clenched in her chest. All the ways their friendship had been torn apart over the past few weeks came flooding back.

Taking a steadying breath, Sophia stepped onto the clearing by the pond. Emily turned at the sound, surprise flashing across her face as their eyes met. Neither spoke at first, an awkward tension hanging in the air.

Then Emily broke the silence. "Do you...want to sit?" she asked hesitantly, patting the space beside her on the warm stones.

Sophia nodded and took a seat, leaving a careful gap between them. For several long moments they both gazed out over the water, watching the ducks glide by.

"I'm sorry," Sophia finally said, her voice cracking. "For everything with Jake, and not putting you first like I should have." Emily exhaled shakily. "I'm sorry too. I never should have threatened to cut you off over a guy."

A lone teardrop rolled down Sophia's cheek. "I miss you, Em. You're my best friend." At this, Emily began to cry as well, and the girls embraced fiercely as if making up for lost time.

"Please say we can try to put this behind us?" sniffed Emily. Sophia nodded into her shoulder. "Of course. You're too important to lose over some silly boy."

And just like that, the bond was mended once more.

The drama with Jake was soon forgotten as they bonded over happier memories there by the pond. Old wounds would fully heal, and a valuable friendship was saved