First Days and Birthdays

Salt hummed to herself happily, staring at herself in the bathroom mirror. It was a great day-no-the best day of the year! February 16th is Salt's birthday. She didn't want to think about the age or anything. Her main focus was fanfare! She squealed a little, jumping in place.

She confidently walked out of the room and sped down the empty hallway. She was on a mission.

"There you are!" Pepper shouted, jumping out at her. She had a huge smile on her face, pulling Salt into a hug. "Happy Birthday Salty Salt!" Pepper cheered. Salt giggled,

"Thanks! I was just heading to the dining room! You should totally come!" Pepper beamed.

"You never want to go to breakfast! What's the occasion?" Pepper asked earnestly as they started their walk down the hall.

"Well duh! I gotta go see you-know-who!" Salt giggled, barely containing her growing excitement. Pepper rolled her eyes. Of course, that's what she meant. "What do you think he got me!? Gah! I'm so excited!" Salt shook Pepper by her arm excitedly. She knew what her BCFF meant.

OJ got everyone gifts on their birthday. It's one of his dumb "host hospitality" things. Pepper scowled. He even got her a gift, even when she openly showed distaste for him. So of course, Salt was head over heels for it.

"You see him like, every day! Hotel's not that big." Salt kept her smile wide.

"But! Today is not every day! It's my birthday! Cmon!" She happily pulled Pepper down to the dining room.

The room was bustling with people. Despite the lack of breakfast rules, most people got food around the same time. Salt sat at a table while Pepper got her food. She casually took quick glances around the room, watching out for him, but trying not to look too obvious.

"Food options are so basic! As expected..." Pepper sighed. Her plate had eggs, toast, and bacon. Salt quickly snatched the smaller piece of bacon and started taking small bites.

"Did you see him? In the kitchen?" Salt excitedly asked.

"Maybe? Wasn't looking tbh.", that didn't stop the giddy smile plastered on Salt's face. Pepper glanced up from her food just in time to see OJ walking down the hall, looking tired as ever. And, like Salt had read her mind, she whipped around to see him. She quickly turned away, putting her slice of bacon back on Pepper's plate.

"OMG! Do you, like, think he like saw me?!" She asked, her face red and her smile bigger than ever.

"Honestly, don't think so. He looks pretty preoccupied." Salt squeaked, kicking in her seat.

"About me? Like maybe about my gift? Cause it's my, like, birthday?!" She could hardly contain herself.

"I sure hope he isn't that stressed about it! He's had like 363 days to figure it out." Pepper watched Salt continually glance over at him. He really did look out of it.

"But wouldn't it be cute if he was all nervous?" She giggled, glancing over at him again. He was whispering something to Paper. Pepper found it way too secretive. "Pepper! Stop staring him down! You're making me look obvious!" Pepper still watched as Paper hurriedly followed OJ back into the hall.

"Hm. That's weird right?" Pepper ignored Salt as she asked. She twisted to look towards the hall.

"Who knows! I still think it's about me, why wouldn't it be?" Pepper sighed. It's kinda true. Nothing is ever that interesting in this dumb hotel.

Apple's eyes slowly opened, light streaming through a window over her face. Everything hurt. The soreness doubled, maybe tripled the pain throughout her arms and legs. She groaned, forcing herself to sit up and look around. She hadn't seen her room in so long. But the emptiness and silence made her stomach churn, though it could also be how hungry she was too.