chapter 4

Trapped in the cramped bathroom, Mason's heart still raced from the encounter with the horde outside. His breaths came in ragged bursts as he strained to hear any sign of movement, any hint that the zombies might have moved on. The room felt suffocating, and the sounds of his own heartbeats reverberated in his ears.

Amidst the silence, a voice – soft and trembling – cut through the air. "Hello?" it said, a hint of fear and desperation in its tone.

Mason's head snapped up, his eyes wide as he searched for the source of the voice. He hadn't expected to hear another living soul in this dire situation. His grip on his weapon tightened, his instincts on high alert.

"Who's there?" he responded cautiously, his voice low and wary.

"I'm... I'm stuck too," the voice replied. "I can't get out."

Mason's gaze darted around the bathroom, and then he noticed something he hadn't seen before – a latch on the wall, obscured by shadows. His heart raced as he realized that he might not be alone in this dire situation.

He approached the latch and pulled on it, revealing a small opening that led to a hidden compartment. As he opened it further, his eyes widened in surprise as he saw a pair of eyes staring back at him – the eyes of a young girl.

She couldn't have been more than eight years old, her face smeared with dirt and her clothes tattered. Her wide eyes held a mixture of fear and curiosity as she looked up at Mason. The realization hit him – she had been trapped here all along, just like him.

"Are you okay?" Mason asked, his tone gentler now.

The girl nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "I'm scared. I don't know where my family is."

Mason's heart ached at the thought of a child enduring this nightmare. He knew that he couldn't leave her behind, especially in her vulnerable state. "Stay quiet," he instructed. "I'm going to help you out."

He reached down and helped the girl crawl through the hidden latch and into the bathroom. She stood before him, her gaze fixed on the ground as if she was too afraid to meet his eyes.

Mason crouched down to her level, trying to appear less intimidating. "My name is Mason," he said gently. "I'm not going to hurt you."

The girl finally looked up at him, her eyes wide with a mixture of fear and curiosity. "I'm Lily," she whispered.

Mason offered her a small smile. "Nice to meet you, Lily. We need to get out of here. Can you walk?"

Lily nodded, her tiny hand slipping into Mason's larger one. The contrast between their sizes was stark, a reminder of the innocence she still possessed despite the harsh world they both lived in.

Together, they cautiously left the bathroom and entered the storage room. Mason listened carefully, his senses on high alert for any signs of danger. The store was eerily quiet now, the horde seemingly gone. It was a temporary respite, and he knew that they needed to make their escape before the situation changed again.

Mason led Lily through the store, his grip on his weapon tight and his eyes scanning their surroundings. He could sense the fear radiating from the young girl beside him, a reminder of the responsibility he now held.

Finally, they reached the entrance of the store. The moonlight cast long shadows across the ground, and the glow of the settlement in the distance seemed like a distant promise of safety.

Mason turned to Lily. "We need to move quietly and stay close. Can you do that?"

Lily nodded, her hand gripping his tightly. With a deep breath, they stepped out into the night, their footsteps barely making a sound as they navigated the deserted streets.