Chapter 11: Hot and Cold Water

"No matter how prepared you are, there is still someone that will drive you to stutter, moreover spill a coffee to yourself"

Hot and Cold Water

...^-^......^-^......^-^......^-^...

The morning after was another usual day of non-stop studying. I've gone to breakfast, chores, and another existential crisis before preparing myself for school. Atypically, I found myself to be faster using the bathroom. It took me less than an hour to get out of the damp—a world record.

After hopping along in my Dad's card, I arrived at school. The everyday nostalgia of the wind's breeze made me motivated to start a new academic week. The wide front yard of CUI is like a dream come through as before I wished that someday I'd get to study here, and here am I.

But things can change. It felt like the environment was getting boring because you'd already reached your dreams and things were getting monotonous in your eyes. It's just usual coming to school now.

"Good morning." Rijo's voice added an unusual feeling to the mood. I turned to him drawing up for a faint smile.

"Good morning~"

"It's hot, why are you wearing long sleeves under a v-neck?" He sounded soft and brash at the same time—or it might just be my ears that made it brash.

"Why do you care?" My thoughts bleated which was supposed to come out of my mouth but rather kept it to not sound rude, especially since it was morning.

"It's surprisingly...cold," I reasoned.

I was unsure of my next movement when I saw him in my peripheral placing a seizing gaze on me. I tried looking at him without moving my head for a better perspective. When our eyes met, I quickly roamed my eyes like I was admiring nature.

"Cold? But you're sweating." I looked at him with seamless wide eyes. My left hand covered the drop of sweat I felt on my neck.

"What? It's maybe because I didn't dry my hair," I lightly lied while watching him take out something in his pocket. It seemed like he didn't care about my reason. He was holding a black handkerchief the second after.

"Here, let me wipe it."

"Wipe what?" irritatingly.

"Even if it's not sweat you'll still get a cold. Just let me do it." I saw concern in his eyes as he sighted his handkerchief. He was like an older caring friend that I always see in some young-adult movies. This moment felt like I was recalling the feeling of older friends that takes care of the younger one.

It allayed my mind without realizing that I lowered my hand to make way for his concern. He started wiping my neck with a peck at every tap. I turned to my side to hide a bit of my smile. Looking back at him again seeing only his jade eyes filled with sincerity.

"Do you want to get coffee? Iced doppio?"

"Iced?" I questioned as if discovery hit me. "P'wede i-ice?"—can it be iced?

"Yeah, anything can be iced." He shrugged his shoulders, putting his handkerchief back to his pocket and burrowing both of his palms on both pockets.

"Y-yeah! Uhm, I was heading right at the library to study but I guess I'll go for a coffee first."

Rijo beamed. He took out his hand from one pocket and swayed it gently signaling to come. I walked with tiny hops but before following him, something came to mind: "Wait...this might be the perfect time!" A lightbulb lit on top of me as I shower this moment an opportunity.