𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 9

After her performance at the Garrison, Esther was the talk of the town with people pleading for the young girl to come back to perform however, it was all simply a one-time thing

After her performance at the Garrison, Esther was the talk of the town with people pleading for the young girl to come back to perform however, it was all simply a one-time thing. Besides Esther received a letter from Solomon. He had agreed to their deal and the guns will be shipped to France in a week so Esther would soon be back on her way to France.

And as she walked the streets she saw Ada Shelby and how stressed she looked holding her groceries so Esther thought she would help her out.

"Do you need any help," Esther asked as Ada looked at her in surprise but then nodded and smiled.

"Absolutely..." Ada said as Esther nodded holding some bags as Ada held baby Carl's hand.

Carl smiled looking up at Esther and making her smile.

"Why hello Carl... you're so big now last time I saw you...you we only a couple of seconds old," Esther teases as Ada smiled.

Even though she may haven't known Esther, Ada trusted her and would forever be grateful to Esther for helping her give birth to Carl when Freddie was arrested.

"Thank you really," Ada said as Esther shrugged as they walked to Ada's home.

"You don't have to thank me. Truly," Esther said as Ada nodded.

She soon unlocked her front door and Esther helped her put away her groceries and spent some time drinking tea with Ada since she seemed to her lonesome before eventually leaving and after arriving to her home she saw Tommy Shelby at her door making smirk.

" Can we talk," Tommy said as Esther opened her door letting him inside.

"What's the matter?" Esther asked sitting down on her couch as Tommy sat in a chair

"I'm in deep, but I succeeded," Tommy said as Esther nodded.

"That's very good then," Esther said confused.

"You're in business with Solomon...I bloody saw you...what for," Tommy questioned as Esther chuckled before getting up and walking into her kitchen getting a bottle of wine before coming back.

"For that, I think I'm going to need a drink and that's none of your business," Esther said as Tommy eyed her.

"Are you trying to be a criminal now Esther...you wanna take a seat on the gangsta side of life," Tommy said cornering Esther in her bookcase and making her drop her bottle of wine.

"You arsehole," Esther muttered as Tommy cupped her face leaning his head against hers as Esther's breath hitched.

"Out of all the people...you...you're the only person I don't want to be untrustworthy. And I definitely don't want you to be in the line of business I'm in," Tommy murmured with his hands caressing Esther's cheeks as she listened to every word he said.

"I'm not doing anything like you...its strictly business for my grandmother. I promise," Esther said leaning into Tommy's touch.

Tommy soon looked up into Esther's brown hazel eyes to see if she was lying and as they looked at one another he could tell she was telling the truth. He knew by the way she held her head. He had nothing to worry about.

"I'm working with Solomon and trying to get things legit," Tommy said as Esther smiled.

"Congratulations. That's very good Thomas...I know how much you really want that," Esther said as Tommy nodded, and they hugged one another in an embrace.

The embrace was with such emotion from being proud to love and happiness. And as much as Esther wanted to only be friends with Tommy she knew their relationship was much more.

"I'm going to the races tomorrow you should come," Tommy suggested as Esther chuckled.

"I don't think that would be appropriate, dear friend...but I wish you nothing but luck...," Esther said as Tommy nodded caressing her hand as he looked at her.

"Maybe...maybe after the races...you can come over and we can talk and celebrate...but only if you win," Esther murmured shyly playing with her fingers as Tommy chuckled at her shyness.

"Aye ," Tommy nodded lifting her head up to look at him making her smile before swatting his hand away.

"It's getting late," Esther said as she looked at her clock and Tommy nodded taking his leave.

That next day Esther woke up in a cheerful mood hitting the markets and getting food ingredients having Isaiah tag along to carry what Esther couldn't, but not without a fuss so Esther promised him a meal if he shut the fuck up and helped her

And after retrieving all the ingredients they went back to Esther's house and cleaned it up, even though it was already clean Esther wanted it to be spick and span clean to the point she could see her reflection.

Which took hours. And so Aunt Meredith came over helping too as well as with cooking with Esther so it wouldn't take forever. They cooked chicken à la king, which is diced chicken in a cream sauce, often with sherry, mushrooms, and vegetables, and served noodles. And for dessert a strawberry ladyfinger icebox cake.

Once done she got cleaned up and simply put on something simple but pretty. A knee-length skirt with a simple white blouse, leaving her hair in curls with no makeup on.

She soon heard a knock at her door and as she opened it she saw Tommy with a look unfamiliar to her.

It was a look filled with lust and as Esther took a breath Thomas walked to her cupping her face and kissing her surprisingly.

The kiss was full of lust and longing and as she pulled away and looked up at Tommy in shock and lust with her heart beating fast she cupped his face kissing him as he gripped her waist pushing Esther inside her home as he kicked the door shut.