Chapter 2

I never asked my parents where they met or why they decided to get married. I guess I just always thought that once you saw that person, you'd just... know.

 I never felt that way when I was dating Todd. With Todd, it was always crashing a party and letting loose. I never really thought much about it.

 But Sam, he changed my life.

I don't remember how I got home that night. It's not like I expected Todd to drive me home. The weird part was, I didn't feel pain like I expected to feel. I just felt... used. Why did he do that? Did he take me as some sort of idiot? Or worse, did he think I wasn't worth his time?

As I was laying on my bed that nihgt, trying not to listen to my sister Casey and her boyfriend giggling on the couch, I thought about what I had achieved in life. What had I accomplished?

Well, there's the small fact that I haven't had a real boyfriend. Except Todd. Some people would call him a "real" boyfriend, but I don't think he counts since he is a lying, cheating butthead. I graduated the eleventh grade; I'm in twelth now, but what really bothered me was that I had nothing to look forward to. Nothing. Yeah, in another year, i'm going to graduate college, but I didn't have any after-school activities or clubs that I belong to, so except for Margi, I was a loner.

I think this is the point where my life changed.

"Knock, knock." Mom whispered as she entered anyway. Was there ever any privacy around here?

I looked up and smiled.

"I like what you've done with your room. Very... neat, organized." Mom's been hung  over ever since I started getting good grades in high school. She thought them unnecessary, since all a girl should do is rely on her husband, and marry a rich one at that. I could never, never, do a loveless marriage in my opinion. I'll just keep waiting for Mr. Darcy, thank you very much.

"Mom, quit with the small talk. What do you want me to do now?" I replied. Now, not every girl can talk to her mother this way, yet I can. 1.) My mother really doesn't care as long as we're not in public. 2.) It makes our conversations less drawn out. Thank goodness...

"Well, honey,..." Ahh, crap. She called me 'honey' now she really wants something. Bad.

" I was talking to Mrs. Daverstrong yesterday, and she mentioned that her daughter, Samantha, was doing a Red Candy Stripe program at the hospital, for a charity." Mom really layed it on thick this time. Samantha was my "arch-enemy" in my mother's eyes. Anything I did, Samantha copied. It's always been that way, I suppose.

"So, maybe you could try the program, sweetie? I think it'd be nice for a change. You could tell everyone that you're helping the sick and needy! Ooh! How they'll all be jealous." My mother said.

Well, why not? It's not like I have anything else to do. Since Todd and I were over, I needed to do something so people wouldn't think i was hung over him. And... I wanted something to look forward to. Why not help the sick and needy? There's a reason they're called 'needy'. So I should help, right?

"Yeah, sure, Mom. Why not?" I smiled.

Mom giggled and clapped her hands like a schoolgirl and abruptly walked out.

What had I just gotten myself into...?