Chapter 1

They say you can see a persons soul when you look into their eyes.

For Sam, it was one glance. That was all it took.

Just one, small peek at him, and I could see everything. Everything.

I knew he was well, the one.  He knew it too. I could tell.

On that one summer day, everything changed. Everything.

--Chapter 1--

"Pass the sunscreen, Cat." Margi asked, almost spitting her gum all over me.

It was June, officially summer. Margi and I were laying by the pool, soaking up all the sun we could get, praying for tans that weren't tinted red in the tiniest possible way. I passed her the sunscreen, and then reached for my phone. Please, please, please let there be a message from Todd.

 No new messages. Crap.

Todd was supposed to have called me by now. I mean, did he just forget last night? Typical boy behavior. Nonetheless, I felt a pain in my chest, and missed him. I'd almost given everything to him. I knew he wanted it. But I wasn't ready. Was he mad at me for that? Ugh, great.

"Has he called ya' back yet, Kitty?" Margi whispered as she turned over.

Kitty was her name for me since my full name was Catarina Anne Truart. Even my initials spelled CAT. When I was little, I thought it was my destiny to eat mice. Thank goodness I never really did.

"Nahh, Marg. I don't know why. Maybe he's too busy? Maybe I should call him first?" I tried not to turn everything I said into a question, but it was very hard. Especially considering I never get asked out. And my, did I get asked out alright...by Todd. He is the single most hottest guy at Samuel High Academy.

She sat up and sent me a "whaddaya-know" shrug. " I guess, Cat. Besides, it's better late than never."

I considered her advice for a second. Should I? I don't want to seem like the crazy girlfriend who's always demanding where he is. And believe me, he had several of those.

"Oh! Hey, Cat. While you're up and making that call, can you get me a towel from inside the garden shed?" Margi asked half-heartedly. Her parents owned this pool place, so I could get free snacks, swim whenever I wanted to, and best of all, go to the best makeout places. Only Margi and I were allowed to do this, since her parents bought it. (Even though i'm pretty sure several people from school know about it...)  The garden shed, well, I know that place inside and out. So do about six other guys.

"Uh-huh." I threw my towel over my shoulder, and put my hair up. I began thinking about what I was going to say to Todd. As I shimmied on my tank-top, I could already imagine how this conversation was going to play out. I just hope I was wrong.

I walked over to the front gates, where it seemed more private, and called him. It went straight to voicemail. Now, a girls gotta'  wonder why. Was he ignoring me? Did I do something wrong? For some reason, i felt really heavy. My heart and head were pounding, but that could've easily been the sunlight. I skulked over to the shed, and began messing with the door.

Oh, someone already unlocked it for me. That's good, I guess. It means someone's in here. Probably Margi's dad, he's always trying to hide from her mom. I swung the door open.

"Hey Mr.--" The words died in my throat. I heard her before I saw her. She was giggling like mad when suddenly she stopped. It took me a moment to get my focus. A girl, with dark brown hair, looked at me with wide eyes. This wasn't Margi's dad.

"I'm so sorry, we..." She began to explain,but faded out. A strong, muscular arm was wrapped around her waist, and then the person peeked out from behind her hair. I looked past her, and saw a flash of blonde hair. No. No, no, no, no, No.

Todd.

I let the door shut behind me.