Chapter 1

A bolt of lightning snaked across the sky causing a shrill squeal from the horse tethered to the great oak. The poor creature's eyes were wide with fear as the rain pelted the ground. Another rumble of thunder shook the earth and the horse cried out again.

"Hush, it's alright," came a soft voice.

The horse snorted in response. The stallion gave the small crouched figure on the ground a gentle nudge with his wet nose. The cloaked person raised a dripping hand to pat the velvet nose. The figure looked up at the sky as a bolt crackled overhead. The flash of light lit up the face of a young woman. Her eyes gleamed yellow for a second. Thin eyebrows rose as her trembling lips pressed tightly together. The flash of light vanished and her features were once again hidden in shadow.

A sigh came from under the soaked hood, and the woman changed her position. The shift caused a puddle of cold water to slide down the back of her cloak. Standing up, the woman picked up her heavy satchel. She lifted the strap over her head and groaned unhappily at the soggy weight. The woman untied the rope from the tree, freeing the horse, and checked the animal's girth. With a grunt, she swung herself up into the wet saddle.

"Why in the world did I leave home?" she complained. "Let's go find some better shelter, Quester."

The horse snorted loudly and curled his head around to nip at his rider's boots.

"Stop that. There should be a shed a little further up the road."

Yeah, right. That's what you said two hours ago.

"Aw, come on. This is my first adventure outside of my father's property."

You probably shouldn't talk to your horse, either. People will think you're crazy.

"Yeah, that's right. I guess I'm just lonely."

Let's go home, said a little voice in her head.

"No," she growled. "Look, there's a village up ahead! Come on, Quester!"

The stallion protested at first, but after the woman whispered the idea of dry food and nice hay, he reluctantly walked forward. At a nudge from his rider, he broke into a slow trot.

It didn't take them long to reach the first house of the village. The woman fumbled with her satchel before pulling out a crumbled and smeared piece of paper. Turning the paper to catch the small amount of moonlight, the woman ran her gloved finger across the page. Lifting her head, she halted Quester and looked ahead. A building, taller than the houses around it, had a large sign hanging above the door.

Stuffing the paper back inside her bag, she urged Quester onward. The duo rode beneath the sign and past the door. Turning the horse around the building, the woman dismounted and led her stallion into the dark barn that sat huddled beside the stone building. Once inside, the woman removed her hood and wiped her hair from her face. Looking around the old stable, she spotted a boy asleep on a pile of hay. Quester shook himself and groaned. The sound awoke the boy and he jumped to his feet, wide eyed.

"Oh! I'm sorry. Here, I'll take him," the boy hurried forward.

"Thank you," answered the woman with a kind smile. "Make sure he doesn't roll with his tack on."

"I won't," reassured the stable boy. "What's your name, ma'am?"

"Willow," replied the woman. "Willow Cormac."

Satisfied that Quester would be taken care of, Willow pulled on her hood and left the stables. The rain had intensified. The wind came screaming and hissing through the woods. Trees swayed back and forth groaning. The sky lit up as a long bolt shot across the black sky. Finding the door, Willow quickly turned the knob and hurried inside.