Part 1

"C'mon, Zerk, you once told me that you can find anything provided the price is right." Sidian was growing impatient, and he could tell that Zerk was getting fed up with telling him, 'no' so many times.

     Sidian [Rein] then reached into his vest pocket and retrieved three 5K dockets. Each is a self-contained blockchain of Zuridian bitcoin worth 5,000 dollars; Zuridian bitcoin being the current intrastellar reserve currency. He then set them on the worktable next to the ergbot on which Zerk was working. "I'm telling you. The price is right this time."

     Zerk continued to use the oil can fitted with a zerk, oiling several microservos in his ergbot, but he did shoot a glance at the dockets, noting the unique sound of the tungsten-encased blockchains as they rested on the table. His oculus allowed him to see the hidden hologram of the Zuridian coat-of-arms and the amount held within them. He let out a sigh that hissed a little through his mole-like mouth. He finished oiling the final microservo before putting the oilcan down and straightening up, putting his tiny hands to his lower back. "All the money in Starbrood isn't going to change the fact that you're flying a scuzbucket that should've been decommissioned with its cousins twenty years ago. Like I said before, scrapyards are your best bet."

     [Scuz — a term that refers to the patina caused by prolonged proximity to stellar objects. A blackening caused by direct exposure to solar radiation that sometimes shows a hint of blue, red, or purple depending on the alloy.]

     Sidian then put his hands on the edge of the table and straightened his arms to rest that way. "I checked Rimmy's, and it said that if they don't have it, then most likely no one will. There has to be someone with a showcase model."

     "Yeah, well, I don't know who that is. With the regime change in the Greddeck System, my access to their databases has been limited to Civ Level 0, and that would be the most likely place to find one. At the moment, I can't even access my refinery's database on Bravvin Secundus until I put in the paperwork, and that means actually flying over there, which I don't have the time to do right now. With the Traeonic Eclipse occurring next month, I am swamped with work." Zerk held out his thin arms as to show off all of the bots and appliances lying around waiting to be fixed.

     "Look, I'll throw in a free ride since I'm headed that way, and I'll help you get whatever you need done to access those databases. I really need that part so I can fly in subspace. My ionic engine only goes so fast." he added with a smirk.

     "Yeah, well, not with the Kelvaran Patrol out on the prowl. I've heard rumors of them being sighted in this system." Zerk then began to close up the panel that gave him access to the internal mechanics.

     Sidian let out a silent sigh through his nose as he stroked his long chin and mindlessly looked around the workshop. "Skrit, Zerk, I don't think you've ever let me down before. What gives?" He had a look of severe consternation as he turned his gaze back upon Zerk.

     Zerk sighed heavily as he looked at Sidian's face. "Look, Sidian, I wish there was something I could do to help, but there's not even any tenders headed out that way due to all the security threats along the route. If you only have ionic drive, then I wouldn't fly that route if I were you. You'll most likely get searched, and knowing you, you probably have some kind of contraband hiding somewhere in that scuzbucket." Zerk then turned his focus back onto the ergbot, opening a smaller panel that revealed several analogue controls.

     In a mild state of shock, Sidian watched as Zerk first pushed a primer button before yanking on a ripcord. A tiny engine could be heard puttering each time he yanked it. It wasn't until the fifth pull that the little engine quietly rumbled before going near silent as it idled. He then watched him flip a switch and saw the eye open, but there was no other movement. "How come you haven't upgraded to digital robots yet?"