Part 3

It  had been a long time since Sidian had gone through the procedures  necessary to start his ship's systems manually

It had been a long time since Sidian had gone through the procedures necessary to start his ship's systems manually. Trying to thumb through the instruction manual with the starsuit's very thick gloves was frustrating him. He couldn't seem to get to the next page and so he threw the thick, covered booklet to the deck.

Sidian sighed as he put an arm against the engine housing and rested his head on it. This only frustrated him further as the capaciousness of the starsuit's helmet didn't allow him to actually rest his head. He let out a slight growl as he whipped himself upright and turned to kick the booklet.

His lack of familiarity with the starsuit caused him to just skim the booklet with his boot, and when he looked at it more closely, he could see that it had turned to the page that he wanted. Literally, the final page of instructions for this procedure. He let out a short chuckle before crouching to pick it up.

Sidian sighed as he read the next instruction, but then soon got a chill down his spine as it was instructing him to open the cryon fuel line. His brow furrowed with concern, and he could feel his stomach starting to become upset.

"C'mon, Sidian," he demanded of himself with confidence, "you can do this." As confident as it sounded to him, it did little to motivate him. Even still, and even without the imminent rescue he was planning, he had no time to waste. He would already have to make a large roundabout maneuver just to get into the right trajectory and speed to attempt another slingshot around Kor's Eye.

As infinitesimally small the risk is that something tragic could occur while simply turning a valve to open a fuel line, cryon always sends Sidian's anxiety through the roof. It never fails to give him that tingly feeling throughout his extremities, and most times, upsets his stomach as well.

He even unconsciously put a hand to his stomach as he walked to the back end of the engine to turn the valve. He had to swallow hard to push back some reflux just as he put his hand on it. The junction itself is housed by an anti-cryogenic alloy. If the cryon were to escape, it could cause instantaneous frostbite.

Sidian took a deep breath as he turned the lever style valve handle ninety degrees to the open position. He was grateful that the automatic shut off sequence was able to close the valve. He had bought that emergency system from Zerk, and it was one of the rare times that he was suspect of its functionality.

With no mishaps, he sighed in relief and gave a quick thought about his father, remembering a time he had spent with him at a park. It would be a mundane experience to most, but it was rare for him to get that much time to spend with his dad.

He didn't allow himself to reminisce for too long before continuing to finish up the procedure. He had but to prime the engine before turning a rather large crank that would start it up, and in turn, provide power to the other systems provided they didn't get fried from the electromagnetic pulse.