15.

Jeon Jungkook

Jungkook's mother has been on the phone all morning speaking to her parents.
She prepared breakfast for them both but she ate hers before jungkook made his way down stairs.

The omegian woman was in navy blue scrubs, her dark hair in a bun that looked more like a knot than a bun. Bags upon bags rested under her red rimmed eyes.

Her nose was also red but jungkook couldn't tell if it was from crying or aggressively rubbing at her nose as she often does when she's irritated.

"I'll talk to him, but I don't know."

That's the last he heard from her phone call.

"Good, you're up early. I made coffee." She gestures emptily to the coffee pot next to the sink.

"I don't drink coffee." Jungkook replies.
An awkward moment passes as a quiet 'oh' passes through her lips.

"Good, caffeine isn't good for a growing body." She comments.
"Right."

Jungkook strokes the pocket  of his black cargo pants carrying his Marlboros.

"Uh, so... your father has secured a new trial. His lawyer motioned for it and he was granted one." The words take long to come out of his mother's mouth. Like they're painful to even speak.
Jungkook knows because he's going to deliver the money to the new lawyer who motioned for it later on today.

Jungkook's breath catches in his chest.
He's taken to a memory of what mornings used to look like with his father around.

Like now, breakfast would wait for him when he's ready for school, but his mother would be sat across him, along with his father.

They didn't live here when his father was still around. They lived in luxury, on the other side of town. The clean part, hidden behind gates and greenery.

His father would be ready to go to work and his phone would buzz incessantly from his pocket but he wouldn't reach for it.

He'd ask jungkook about sports and his studies and jungkook would answer his questions in a timely manner lest he be named a liar.

All the while his mother would sit quietly, as she always was in her mate's presence. Lips sealed by bruised and split skin.

"I want something home cooked for lunch today." Jungkook's father would say and the omega would nod, knowing whatever she had to do today was now not as much of a priority as making a meal for her mate and delivering it.

Then he'd leave and jungkook would see tears building on the corner of his mother's eyes before she'd turn away, car key in hand.

She'd drive jungkook to school, she'd drive slowly as if she's relishing every moment away from her home.

"Jungkook? Are you listening? This is important." His mother interrupts his thoughts.
"I'm listening."

"His lawyer may call you to testify. You're old enough to make that decision for yourself, all I ask of you is that if you decide to take the stand that you speak truthfully about your father." His mother explains calmly in a professional sounding voice devoid of emotion. He's surprised she can manage it.

"Why don't you just tell me what you want me to do?" Jungkook questions.
"I just told you what I wanted you to do."

"No, I mean really say what you want me to do and say. Your hiding behind neutrality when you can just say you want me to tell him he abused you and threatened to kill you time and time again."

"That's the truth isn't it?" His mother questions, tone growing tight.
"The truth is that, you stayed until you had no choice."

His mother's expression shifts to anger and then she brought her face to her hands.