Chapter 1: [I can't hear but can see]

You know what useless feeling is ?

I'm Inayat Verma, a student at Mumbai University, soon to fulfill my dream of becoming an otolaryngologist. However, a painful memory still lingers - the day my grandmother, Dadi, suffered a heart attack while I played with a doll, oblivious to her desperate cries for help. Her pleas went unheard of by me, not because I was negligent, but because I'm deaf. The question haunts me: was it truly my fault that I couldn't hear her?

*Shoulder tap*

I turned to face the person behind me, and Mama Ji asked, his lips moving, "Inayat beta, aren't you going to university today?" I watched his lips carefully and responded, "Actually, Mama Ji, I'm going to college today; I have a crucial lecture that I absolutely cannot miss."

Mama ji took my bag, saying, "You're finally getting the lip movements right, beta, now let's go!"

Ravi Verma, whom I affectionately call Mama Ji, adopted me when others abandoned me and has been a constant source of support and guidance, providing for my education and well-being as a loving father would. As a respected Supreme Court Judge and a man of considerable means, he has always offered financial assistance, but I initially declined, wanting to maintain my independence. However, he insisted, and with his emotional persuasion, I reluctantly accepted his help with the promise to repay him in the future, to which he agreed.

What would you like for breakfast, he inquired, gently tapping my shoulder to get my attention.

Oh, and for context, tapping my shoulder is just his way of getting me to focus.

"Mami ji" I began to say, but before I could finish, she walked out of the room.

My Mami, Radhika Verma, is my mama ji's wife, but she's not as kind-hearted as one might think. From the day I arrived, she hasn't taken a liking to me. Thankfully, I'm deaf, or her constant nagging and foul language would've been unbearable. She frequently yells at Mama ji, which I suspect is partly because of me, but Mama ji loves her despite this. I refrain from disrespecting her, considering they're a lovely couple with a son, Siddharth Verma. Siddharth, two years my senior, is kind-hearted like Mama ji and treats me like his younger sister. However, he's often away in the USA for business, and I deeply miss him.

"She's being attended to, our princess," she said, heading towards the dining table.

Mama ji intervened, "Radhu, can't you give that girl a break for just one day? It's unfair to criticize someone who can't even defend themselves."

Mama ji, Ravi always defends her, saying, "Even though she can't hear, she can see people talking and chooses to ignore everything."

Mami shot back at Mama ji, "Why do you always take her side, Ravi?"

Mama ji interrupted, "Radhu, let's discuss this later, Inayat has an important lecture to attend, please serve her breakfast. We'll talk later," as he took his usual seat.

I'm finding this lip-reading incredibly challenging; today's my first day in a regular class after always attending special sign language classes, which were much easier to follow. Ganpati Bappa, please help me!

I began eating quietly, lost in my thoughts, as the cacophony of conversations surrounding me only highlighted my feelings of isolation. Imagine being surrounded by millions of people, yet unable to hear their voices or truly connect with anyone. My loneliness stems from having no friends, with the exception of Siddharth and Mama ji, who I occasionally speak with. Despite being popular in my class, where everyone flocked to me for my appearance, they would pity me upon discovering my deafness, making me feel even more isolated as I kept to myself.

*Shoulder tap*

Mama ji stood up from the chair, reminding me, "Inayat, let's go, it's already 7am." I nodded and followed him to his KIA car, which, despite being unassuming, served its purpose.

He affectionately patted my head, saying "Just for you, my beta."
Twenty minutes of driving passed before we arrived at my university.
He dropped me off, saying "Have a great day, princess. Text me after your lectures and I'll pick you up," accompanied by a thumbs-up.

I waved goodbye, responding "You too, Mama ji, have a nice day."
Following my biology and theory classes, I headed to the canteen to grab lunch.

As someone tapped my arm, I turned to see a girl around my age with dark eyes and brown skin, wearing a white coat.I raised an eyebrow, questioning, and she said, "Aren't you Inayat Verma?"

I said with a straight face, "Sorry, but could you please speak clearly, I'm deaf and can't read your lips when you murmur."

She apologized using sign language, which took me by surprise - I wouldn't have expected a chemistry student, judging from her coat, to know sign language.

Naina Sinha, a final-year chemistry student, greeted me and requested permission to ask questions for her practical project, supplementing her verbal request with hand gestures.

I nodded and invited her to take a seat in front of me, assuring her that she could speak clearly since I could read lips, eliminating the need for sign language.

She nodded

She was a chatty yet lovely girl who sought my assistance with some ear-related questions for her assignment, which I gladly answered. As we parted ways, she warmly said, "It was great meeting you, Inayat," and surprised me with a hug, which I reciprocated. Following our farewell, I realized it was time to head home.

I was waiting 10 minutes for mama ji he must have caught in work I should text him

*Chat*

Inayat: Mama ji where are you? I am in front of University gate

Mama ji : Sorry Inayat😔 I will be there
In five minutes just stay there don't go anywhere

Inayat: ok👍

I intervened when a distracted lady, burdened with heavy shopping bags, began crossing the road against the signal.

"Wait, Ma'am!" I shouted, rushing towards her and grasping her arm to halt her progress.She was visibly shaken and startled.

"Are you okay, Ma'am?" I inquired, expressing concern for her well-being.
She nodded still recovering from shocked

I handed her a glass of water and she thanked me with a smile, saying "Thank you beta." I then asked, holding her hand, "Are you okay now? Would you like me to drive you home?" She shook her head, mumbling something in response, which I didn't quite catch, but it seemed like a decline, so I didn't press the issue. Seeking clarification, I asked again, "Are you sure, Ma'am?" and she nodded in affirmation.

Mama ji tapped me on the shoulder and said "Inayat beta chalo," while taking my hand, his expression revealed he was visibly disturbed about something.

To be continued....

Hello everyone,

That was the end of the chapter one
I know it was not that good but don't worry this is just the starting

I promise to present more

Please vote and comment after reading!

Thank you