35| Patrols

🥀

Surprised looks linger in their eyes while I fall backwards, clinging to a pair of hands I fall into. With widening eyes, my wobbly legs try to adjust balance under three curious eyes. But as I slowly tilt my head to find out who was holding me, my jaw drops immediately. A sudden hush of wind blows over me while my hair spreads according to its tune.

  “Senior Lu?” Su Rou and Xiao Fan exclaim simultaneously. They quickly turn to each other for another glance after realizing they said the same thing at the same time. Irritated by his glare, she swiftly turns away and puts her hands behind her with a clear of throat. Xiao Fan on the other hand slowly steps back, making Mo Yan scoff.

 “What Senior Lu? What would he be doing here?” As he drums with his teeth, he sighs and turns to them.

 “Speaking of which, I have a score to settle with him. I went easy on him because I didn’t want to be a sword holder. None of you have seen my power just yet!”

  In an attempt to hold her laughter, she quickly covers her mouth with her left hand and lower her head. This saves Xiao Fan from talking more before Zhao Yun clears his throat from behind. Unfazed, he slowly lets go off me as I try to stand properly.

 I squeeze my lips shut and look away from his curious gaze. For the first time, I could read his expression. But it wasn’t what I had wanted, at least for the first time I was beginning to understand him. Those eyes felt like he was undressing an antelope for sacrifice.

 But the smiley face on Mo Yan slowly fades off hearing footsteps behind him. Forced to put on a fake smile, he taps his shoulders and starts laughing loudly, too much to alert the birds in the forest. The birds quickly begin to flap their wings away.

 “Oh, it’s you! You know jokes are very common these days right?” After hearing this , Xiao Fan lifts his head and pulls his sword from the floor to walk ahead. Silence quietly greets us while Mo Yan takes his hand off seeing the tense atmosphere around us. With a light smile, he drops his hand behind him and moves forward.

 “Never mind. What’s going on in Song? Elder Yu requested that we solve the case with you.” Su Ruo agrees with him with a nod and steps forward. But her curious eyes set on me after a while. “Was she with you?” When he turns to me, I bite my lips and step behind him, clinging to his sleeves with closed eyes.

Heaving a sigh, he returns a no glare and yanks my hand from his sleeves. His reaction makes me stumble back a bit, but I manage to adjust my balance quickly.

 “I guess she followed you from the sects. You three didn’t even notice,” he retorts after returning a serious look. “Hold on, she’s your disciple. Why should we take into account what she does?  Speaking of which, in terms of sneaking up on people, like master like disciple!” His unattended words end up infuriating him. Clutching to his sword, Su Ruo steps in immediately and hangs her hands over the two to separate them.

 “Don’t pay heed to his words. What’s important is helping the people. We should head off right after sending her off.” My head jerks up after hearing her words. After all I did to follow them, there was no way I would be going back to the sect alone. I quickly step in and stare at her angrily. “I never said I’d go back. Don’t take decisions on my behalf!”

 Mo Yan’s perplexed eyes trace mine while I pout my lips in anger. Su Ruo swiftly pulls out her sword and point it at me. “I don’t care if you’re an Empress or governor’s daughter. But I’m not going to get in trouble by taking you along.”

 “Oh, really? Just you wait until I become noteworthy, I’ll deal with you first.“

 “Wait, wait! I thought you’re the one interceding for Senior Zhao and I. How come you’re fighting now?”