Chapter 2

There were many instances when he just wanted to quit it all and run away to another country once more. He was tired of the nagging and constant glances thrown in his direction. Who knew that someone caring about your well being could be this wearying. 

Jiang Cheng loved his family and the people around him, but sometimes he wished they would simply disappear, leaving him alone with some peace and quiet.

Today was one of those days. They were having a family dinner at his parents' house to celebrate A-Xian and A-Zhan's engagement, and he hated the fact that instead of celebrating, everyone looked at him worriedly. They knew that he noticed their actions and hated them even more. It was supposed to be a joyous occasion, not a gloomy one. Unfortunately, he couldn't leave, as it would sadden his brother and Lan Zhan, and the thing that he wanted the least was to lower their spirits during such an important moment of their lives. 

"A-Xian, A-Zhan, I brought you two presents from my stay in China," he said, putting a big wooden box on the table in front of them. "Those are custom made, so I hope they are to your liking," he smiled at the couple.

A-Xian has always been excited about opening presents; even receiving packages with things he had ordered and knew what they contained made him somehow weirdly ecstatic. Jiang Cheng liked seeing him happy.

Wuxian cracked the lid of the box open and audibly gasped, looking back up at him. "Jiang Cheng! Are you crazy? One must have cost a fortune, not to mention both of them." He stated this in a daze, looking at the dizi and guqin, both carefully secured inside the velvet-lined box. 

Jiang Cheng waved his hand at the man and his fiance, who were looking at him equally shocked. "Don't mention it. I just thought they would suit you two."

"That's generous; thank you," A-Zhan said with gratitude, and A-Cheng simply sent a smile his way. 

Jiang Yanli beamed at her brothers. She loved the cozy atmosphere of their family home and wanted to create it for her own son and future children. Her parents were an excellent example of what a couple should look like, even though they had their flaws. After all, not everyone is perfect, and what is important is to find a golden mean.

"Mom mentioned to me earlier that you have found an apartment that you like. Is it true?" She asked, cleaning Jin Ling's chocolate covered hands with a wet tissue. 

"Ah, yes. I did find something that was to my liking. It's a calm neighborhood, there’s also a park in front of it, so I can go for my Sunday walks there. I moved in yesterday.”

Wei Wuxian shifted his attention away from his new dizi and gazed directly at his brother, a hint of concern etched on his face. "Why didn't you say anything? We would have helped you. You shouldn't exert yourself with any kind of strenuous activity."

The rest of the people in the room nodded in agreement. Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes at them.

"Oh, stop it; don't be ridiculous. I am neither a baby nor stupid. I have hired an interior designer to oversee the decorating and the moving process, and they have taken care of everything. All I had to do was bring my luggage there. And the porter helped me with that too, so don't look at me like that. I am not as fragile as you seem to believe, and a mere gust of wind would not cause me to shatter like a delicate crystal.” He stated sarcastically.

Jiang Fengmian gave his son a seizing look. "We know you, you little prick, so don't go all smarty-pants on us. We just want you to be well and happy."

“I am happy, dad.”

That’s what he said and what he wanted to believe in, but was he truly happy? He hoped so. 

***

The first thing that catches your eye are the large French windows that offer an amazing view of the park outside. The windows let in plenty of natural light, making the entire space bright and inviting.

The apartment is spacious and tastefully furnished with modern yet cozy furniture. The living room is a comfortable space, with a plush sofa and armchairs in neutral colors and a large rug that ties the room together. The walls are painted a calming light blue that complements the furniture and makes the room feel even more welcoming and cozy.

The kitchen is everything he dreamed of, with modern appliances and plenty of counter space. It has everything one may need, from high-end cookware to a spacious refrigerator. Jiang Cheng liked it a lot, since cooking became his hobby when he was in China all alone.

Next to the kitchen is the dining area, with a beautiful wooden table that can comfortably seat six people or even more if needed. It would be perfect for hosting some dinner parties. Oh yes, Jiang Cheng likes that thought a lot. 

The bedroom is his cozy oasis, with a king-sized bed and soft linens that invite you to curl up and relax. The room is decorated in shades of gray and blue, with plenty of storage space. The bedroom windows also overlook the park, and the birds can be heard singing in the morning. 
There were also two guest bedrooms, with ensuite bathrooms, which will surely come in handy one day when he will be receiving guests. 

The only downside of this apartment that A-Cheng can think of is the lack of a balcony, where he could eat breakfast and have his morning coffee on during sunny days like he did in Shenyang.

But still, A-Cheng liked it. Coming back to England and buying the apartment meant the beginning of a new chapter of his life, and he was more than ready for it.

His family doesn't know it, but he is almost back to his old form. Countless hours of physiotherapy and training allowed him to dance again. Maybe he wasn't as good as before, and he already made his peace with this fact, but at least he could dance again. 

Everyone believes that his job at Liaoning Ballet consisted only of shadowing Madame Shi and doing what she told him to do, but that's not true. Shi Zhenzhen helped him stand back on his feet and supported him mentally when there was a need for that. He will be forever grateful to her for taking him with her to China when she was leaving The Royal Ballet.

She was supportive but never coddled him like his family did. They wanted to do everything for him because they were afraid that allowing him to try doing things on his own would harm him even more. Be believes that they still think that way, and they actually confirmed it with their reaction to his move.

Naturally, he is still careful about his health and condition, but he is ready to go back on stage. Even if it is a small role, or just a background character, he is thrilled to give it his all.