Chapter 2 // When the Moonlight casts a Shadow

"I am so excited for summer!" Sam exclaims.

"Me too, but I'll miss harassing our math teacher with you guys," Moxie sighs.

"Yeah, even though I don't exactly mind math," I respond.

"NERD!" Moxie shouts, giggling a bit afterwards.

We hung out for a good few hours afterwards, joking, laughing, you get it. That was until it got dark and we all had to split up and walk back home to eat dinner, and (obviously) go to bed afterwards.

You know, the usual things a teen needs to do when it gets late to avoid getting lectured more than they need to?

But Sam is right. I am excited for summer.

////

I shoot myself awake, it's barely even light out. It's not even light out at all actually!

But it's, what? 5am? I should start getting ready in advance because it's bound to be 6 in a few minutes anyways...

Stumbling off of my bed and over to the bathroom I brush my teeth, do my hair, which always ends up in a new style everytime I wake up, and get dressed. Yes I just explained my morning routine, it's nothing special.

...

And guess what...

It's 6.

Already.

Woo-hoo?

////

Walking into school, I do what any normal kid in the group does and hurry on over to the cafeteria to chat with my friends for the next 30 minutes.

I hate how loud the kids here are, but if I'm close enough to my friends, it shouldn't exactly matter.

I immediately walk over to Moxie because Sam isn't here yet.

"Hey NERD," Moxie shouts in my face, as if she were some movie bully or some shit.

"Still not over yesterday?" I reply back.

"Nope! And I told the whole school about your freaky obsession!" Moxie jokes.

"Did you really?" I question.

"No..." She mutters, quickly going back to doodling in a... sketchbook?

"Mox, you draw?" I ask.

"Yeah, but it's shit," Moxie replied, "Picked it up a few months ago when Sam told me to get a hobby besides harassing the shit outta Keith so I stole hers,"

"Well I can definitely see you've... Adjusted to drawing?" I state, taking a closer look at her sketchbook, it's beat up and definitely... Used.

Moxie giggles, "Thanks!" She exclaims definitely knowing I wasn't serious.

Sam finally comes in and Moxie hides her sketchbook in her bag. Probably the only secret Mox has kept from Sam in all of history.

I don't know why'd she'd even need to do so, but it doesn't matter.

"Hey!" Sam exclaims walking down the stairs to meet us.

"Hey Sam," Moxie says awkwardly, someone needs to tell her Sam doesn't own art as a hobby.

...

Like, right now.

Sam leans over and asks, "Is something wrong with her?"

Without thinking I say, "Yeah, someone called her gay,"

Moxie looks over, "What?"

...

"I thought we all knew," She said.

"I do!" Sam replied.

"I know you do," Mox responded.

Without a care in the world, the bell rings telling us it's time to rush over to our homeroom, interrupting the confused, awkward, conversation we just had.