♜ tangled

once upon a time, there was a kingdom that was ruled by a beloved king and queen, who had just been blessed with a child. during her pregnancy, however, the queen became incredibly ill and only something thought to be a myth could help her; a magic, golden flower, grown from a single drop of sunlight. ingesting the flower's magic healed the queen and blessed the kingdom with a beautiful child with long, golden blonde hair, (person a).

however, hearing the news of this miracle child spread quickly through the kingdom and as the palace was asleep and peaceful, a woman snuck in, searching for something she deemed once hers... as she found it, singing a soft song, the child's hair began to glow. the woman tried to cut a strand to keep for herself before the piece turned dark and as quick as she had snuck in, the woman was gone, an empty bassinet left in her wake.

fast forward eighteen years, and (person a) has known nothing except for the tower that their "mother" had hidden them away in, alone in a hidden valley. spending many long days, weeks, months alone with nothing to do but read, study, paint, anything to entertain themselves, (person a) has an idea to be able to go out into the world for their birthday. mother shuts down the idea and leaves for an errand, (person a) is left alone again.

meanwhile, (person b) is on the run from the palace guard as a wanted criminal, managing a close-call escape and ends up in a hidden valley and lonesome, supposedly empty, tower. seeing the tower as a good disguise and hiding spot, (person b) climbs the tower and sighs in content as they're finally alone with their prized stolen crown.

the success is quickly gone as (person a) knocks (person b) out in panic, shocked that someone has snuck into the tower that was supposed to protect them! but... they protected themself... if mother could see they could take care of themself, then she'd take (person a) to see the lights!

... right?