Chapter 9: Winter Solstice

The celebration of the winter solstice was an important occasion for the Elementals, and it conceded with Electra's birthday. It was the time when the elementals celebrated the return of the forces of nature to their fullest. Once she went down for breakfast, Electra could feel the joyful air.

<< Happy Solstice >> Rose had shouted, wrapping her in an embrace << and Happy Birthday>>.

<< Happy Solstice>>
Rose pushed a gift pack over the breakfast table.

<< You know in the elemental world we exchange gifts today, not like humans on Christmas>> she said << So I got you two gifts>>.

<< I didn't know that >> Electra looked at her << I didn't get you anything >>. And so, she turned red.

<< What are you doing, opening it? >> was the only reply.

And Electra began to unwrap the first package. Inside, it was a red-purple dress; on the sides of the dress long ancient runes were running on the length of the dress. It was the same Electra had first seen engraved on the book of Elements. << It is a traditional dress of the Elementals. It is a good omen to wear one tonight >> Rose had continued to

explain, then adding in a conspiracy low tone << Before we escape>>

<<What do you wait for? Open the second!>>.

Electra unwrapped also the second package, which was the size of a telephone. When she opened it, inside the little box, there was a leather bracelet with stones and a tooth attached. It must have been one of the elementary oddities. << Hem......thank you...>> replied Electra, who didn't know what to say << it really looks exotic>>.

Rose burst out laughing << Electra is not a jewel, elementaries don't make jewelry out of teeth>>.

<<Should that cheer me up?>>

<<It's a fury tooth. It heats up when danger is near. You could use it whenever you sneak around, to know if Cassidy is hiding behind an armor>>

Now it made more sense. << Rose thank you... it is just the present I need>> Electra replied, beginning to

understand. She hugged her friend contentedly.<< Just don't show it too much in public. I don't think it's an approved item>>

<<The dress is also beautiful >> said Electra. She had never owned such a beautiful dress.

<< I know! What did you think I was giving you? A dwarf dungaree? >> she continued << Is everything ready for tonight? >>

<< Do dwarfs were dungarees?>>

<< Sure, when they go down in mines>>

<< I will bring the vials tonight. Half sip lasts for 30 minutes. The time to elude the gargoyles security>> Electra pointed out, voice even lower.

<< Good. But we still need weapons>>

<< No>> said Electra, who had already understood what she was getting at << Absolutely not>>. This would have been a suicide mission.

<< We will need them>>. And this confirmed Electra's suspicions: Rose wanted to steal weapons from Ivor. Tom arrived shortly afterwards with Wolly and a pretty cake with flames on it. Wolly had even created a chocolate figurine representing Electra, who was wielding a real torch. Then Tom had forced her to open the other presents: sheet music from him, and a tracksuit sent by Sister Mary, who knew well Electra's favorite clothes.