chapter 14 | everything in its right place

«And I bet she told a million people that she'd stay in touch, but all the little promises, they don't mean much.»

---

Did she believe in manifestation? Not all the time. Was she starting to consider perhaps she did manifest her life? A little. If Sloane pondered on it, she probably did put some of the things that happened to her in the past year or so out there for the universe to listen. Like, after many jokes with Aurora, she did end up banging a racing driver — maybe more than banging. So there was that. She could've perfectly manifested other aspects of her life too. And apparently, she did.

"Yes." The manager assured her for what seemed to be the fiftieth time during the call.

Her breath hitched, and she blinked. "Vivianne, don't play with me." She nibbled on her thumbnail, pacing around the room.

Even when they weren't in the same place, she could picture the way her manager fondly rolled her eyes before heaving yet another sigh. "Sloane, I'm one hundred per cent serious with this. They love you. Those were Jess' words on the phone." She wasn't half as unlikeable as some people deemed her to be, Vivianne told her so most of the time. "I have a digital copy of your contract right in front of me right now. I'm reading it as we speak."

Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. She squeaked, quite literally, then covered her mouth with a hand to stop herself from letting any other embarrassing screech come out of her. Vivianne chuckled from the other end of the line, if they were together, she'd be hugging her and endlessly expressing her gratitude for having her in her life. The last part she'd do it anyway no matter the distance separating them. Sloane smiled against her palm, slowly drawing it down to her chest. Her heart pounded hard against her palm, the noise reaching her ears. A new wave of excitement ran through her. She hadn't felt it in a while.

"Is this—oh shit, I...I don't even know what to say." She couldn't recognise her own voice, but it was joy combined with a very, very, high pitch.

Her manager hummed in confirmation one more time. "I wanted to tell you in person but we have to start moving quickly with his." Well, she would kiss Vivianne as well if they weren't in different countries. "I've been reading the contract and made some notes on points that might interest you. Will be forwarding all of it to you via email so you can read it, then later we can have a video call before you sign everything to clear up any questions for you. Does that sound good?"

"Vivianne I love you so much. I could kiss you right now."

"I have great love for you too, but let's not get too much into that. Please." Despite the many headaches and nerve-wracking situations she'd put her through in the past months, Vivianne appreciated her a lot. She wouldn't leave her behind as her father suggested. "Congratulations, Sloane. This is a big step in your career, and believe me, you won't regret taking it. You deserve this and much more, and I'm very proud of you."

A few years ago, when they met, she wouldn't have bet on those words coming from the woman herself, but there they were and Sloane knew there wouldn't be enough time in her life to properly thank Vivianne for everything she'd done for her. Not only career-wise but also regarding personal matters. Her life would be completely different if she never had the opportunity to work with the woman, and, in spite of her slips, she didn't want to imagine such scenery. She thanked her, multiple times, and her manager insisted there was nothing to thank her for, that it was part of her job and she repeated how proud of her she was. If Sloane got a lump in her throat with those last remarks, she gulped it down and kept the gratefulness rolling.

It would've carried on that way for hours if not for the fact they had to end the call to continue with their days. She assured Vivianne that she'd check everything sent to her about the contract and other details. Something in her chest felt heavy, but not in a bad way. This time around the sensation was good. Like her heart would explode from all the happiness caged inside of it.