CHAPTER 12- The Mirror Of Erised

Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that hey followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban. The few owl that managed to battle their way through the stormy sky to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again.

No one could wait for the holidays to start. While the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the drafty corridors had become icy and a bitter wind rattled the windows in the classrooms. Worst of all were Professor Snape's classes down in the dungeons, where their breath rose in a mist before them and they kept as close as possible to their hot cauldrons.

"I do feel so sorry," said Astoria, one Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

He was looking over at Harry and Lilian as she spoke. Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy chuckled. Draco and Mattheo tried defend the Potters but Lilian held them back not wanting to cause and drama or lose points to their house. Harry, who was measuring out powdered spine of lionfish, ignored them. Pansy and Astoria had been even more unpleasant than usual since the Quidditch match. Disgusted that the Slytherins and Gryffindors both won, They had tried to get everyone laughing at how a wide-mouthed tree frog would be replacing Harry and Lilian as Seeker next. Then they'd realized that nobody found this funny, because they were all so impressed at the way Harry and Lilian who had managed to stay on his bucking broomstick. So Pansy and Astoria were, jealous and angry, had gone back to taunting Harry and Lilian about having no proper family.

It was true that Harry and Lilian wasn't going back to Privet Drive for Christmas. Professor McGonagall had come around the week before, making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays, and Harry and Lilian had signed up at once. They didn't feel sorry for themselves at all; this would probably be the best Christmas he'd ever had. Ron and his brothers were staying, because Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie. Zoe was staying, too, because her extended family was visiting and they didn't approve of her character. And Draco and Mattheo secretly signed up so Lilian wouldn't be alone at the Slytherin Common Room. They were planning to tell Lilian at the day when everyone was going to leave Hogwarts for Christmas.

When they left the dungeons at the end of Potions, they found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Two enormous feet sticking out at the bottom and a large puffing sound told them that Hagrid was behind it.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Lilian asked, sticking her head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" came Pansy's cold drawl from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Potter? Hoping to become seeker yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose – that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's probably used to."

Lilian went red.

Zoe dived at Pansy just as Snape came up the stairs.

"WINTERS!"

Zoe let go of the front of Pansy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Parkinson was insultin' their family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Winters, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Pansy, Astoria, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking.

"I'll get him," said Ron, grinding his teeth at Pansy's back, "one of these days, I'll get them –"