Author's Note

Thank you for reading Beauty

I've always loved the classic fairytale, Beauty and the Beast, and I'm excited to retell it with an original twist!

When I was brainstorming ideas for this story, I kept returning to Belle and that pivotal scene in the West Wing. I've always felt that something was missing. If Belle is an intelligent heroine, how could she not figure out the Beast's true identity? Why does she feel compassion for someone who imprisoned her? And how could she play a more active role in breaking the curse? Exploring her actions in the West Wing seemed like a great place to start.

I wrote Belle as a complex character with multiple layers. My princess is more than a pretty face—she's the daughter of an inventor, and she's on a mission to help others. I wanted to show that Belle is a beautiful person, and her face is only part of that. 

I couldn't write a Beauty and the Beast retelling without including two other well-loved characters: Cogsworth and Lumiére. Belle's interaction with them allowed me to show that the curse affects the other members of the castle. It raised the stakes and created a realistic reason for Belle to consider staying. 

Do you agree with her decision to leave? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Thank you to everyone who read, voted, and commented on Beauty. I appreciate each and every one of you! 

 I appreciate each and every one of you!