Chapter 1 ~ The Call

We were laughing screaming and having a great time, my friends and I.  I had been away from home for a couple days and today was the last day to spend with my friends across the state of Wyoming in the organization I always enjoyed doing.

My phone had died and I was unable to receive phone calls or anything like that.  My friends and I were heading back to the hotel to go swimming and I was almost ready when our leader of our group came rushing to my room.  she told me she had received an urgent call from some guy about my sister being in an accident.  I was freaking out because I have three sisters and one brother.  I called him back and asked who it was that got hurt and he said Sarah. 

I nearly collapsed to the ground.  I was shaking and trying to hold back the tears, like I always do.  I told our leader and she had me get dressed and she would drive me to the hospital in Casper because they where bringing her there.  I had a few escaping tears but managed to hold back until I saw my mom and I ran to her crying,  she was crying too, along with my sister Cody.

I had cried for an hour hoping and praying that she would be ok.

When I finally got to see her, she had blood in the whites of her eyes and they had shaved part of her head to put staples in.  I don't remember much of the rest of the week.  I had missed a whole week of school because of the accident.

I do remember many people coming and visiting Sarah, especially my two closest friends, Missy and Aleecia.  the first night waiting in the hospital,  we had a praying group as we prayed for my sister to be alright as she was going through a long surgery.

When I went back to school Aleecia had told me people where spreading rumors that my sister was drunk driving, or texting and driving, or swerved to miss a deer.  What actually happened was her dog kept climbing into her lap and she kept pushing her off and swerved and then corrected herself.  her dog again climbed into her lap and she pushed her off and went off the road and into the ditch, over corrected, trying to get back onto the road.  in the process of doing that, her truck hit a culvert and the truck went airborne and flipped over the driveway and the truck landed on its tires.

I asked Aleecia's mom's boyfriend if we could go see the truck (which its still at Russell towing)  when Aleecia and I saw her truck at first (unknowing it was her truck), we said "the person who flipped that truck didn't survive.  The guy pointed out that truck to us and said that it was Sarah's tuck.  our jaws dropped.  I grabbed some of our stuff from there and brought it back to the house.  I also took pictures of the truck.  the whole drives side was caved down and the passenger side was up.  we came to a conclusion that the flat bed on her truck saved her life, along with the seatbelt.

Since her accident, people where helping us out.

After being in Casper for a week, they shipped her to Craig hospital for rehab, where she spent 3 and a half months going through rehab to rehabilitate herself, since she was paralyzed from the chest down.  at first she had full function in her hands, then her spinal cord swelled and she lost a lot of function in her hands.  she cracked her C6 and shattered her C7, so she doesn't have her widows hump anymore.

She also told me that when she was down there, she was told that her left collar bone was cracked.  they didn't know that it was broken, so when the rolled her onto her left side, the collar bone gave way and broke.  she then went into surgery for that, putting a plate in that spot.

Next was her left wrist.  she knew it wasn't right because it wasn't cooperating right.  when she went in for her second surgery in Casper, Wyoming, they X-Rayed her wrist and found that it was broken.  they put pins in her wrist to hold it in place so it could heal properly.