two - tyro day

Today Is Tyro Day.

On August 13th of every year, a new wave of IMTC Newbies–Tyros as they were called–would join the Intrepid Military Training Center, and learn to be a weapon of war.

Today was Erin's five year anniversary at the IMTC.

Most people leave the IMTC after nine months, some stay longer if they're training for a special position, but as Erin learned after her first year at the IMTC, she never wanted to leave; and she soon took up a teaching job and became a trainer at the IMTC.

And for Erin, she never planned on leaving.

Erin, Carter and Evan had met on their first day as Tyros. They weren't exactly fast friends–Erin had despised the two of them for months before she decided she was fond of the pair of idiots.

They joined the IMTC at the age of fifteen, they were now twenty and were thick as thieves.

Erin became good friends with Evans' twin sister, which helped them become closer through association. Carter, well, was Carter. No one could hate him for long, not even Erin. With his contagious smiles, and friendly demeanor, he was friends with everyone.

As Erin entered training room A, she was met with the familiar smell of sweat, it stung her nostrils and she filled her lungs with the tangy air.

The training room was exactly what it sounded like, with exercise equipment lining the walls along with punching bags, it was the resident hang out for the residents of the IMTC, and on this warm, clear August morning, it was occupied by Erins large, but close friend group.

Carter and Evan were wrestling on one of the tumbling mats, while the rest of the trainers watched from the side, placing bets on who would win, and playfully mocking the pair.

Erin made her way over to the onlookers, smiling as she approached Alek.

"Five bucks on Carter." Erin said, punching him in the shoulder playfully.

He grinned at her.

"You're on." He said, beaming like an idiot "Everett is going down." Alek said, calling Carter by his last name as was customary for them. "You got this Evan!" He shouted at the scuffle of limbs.

"Come on Carter!!" Erin shouted, cupping her hands around her mouth in a makeshift mega phone.

As if taken over by some sudden strength, Carter managed to easily wedge Evan underneath him, pinning him down skillfully.

Alek scowled, and begrudgingly slipped five dollars into Erin's hand. Erin smirked proudly as she pocketed the money.

The pair of boys stood, and playfully punched and hit each other as they made their way to the onlookers.

Carter made his way over to Erin, not even sparing a glance for the others. He was beaming with joy and pride.

Carter was always seen smiling. Whether these were happy, sad, genuine or forced, they were contagious, and Erin grinned back at him.

He ran his fingers through his already messy hair, causing the brown curls to knot, and flop about.

He was breathing pretty heavily, and his clothes were stained with sweat.

"What'd you think?" He asked, bearing his teeth in a pleasant smile.

"It was awful. Honestly, I don't understand how you won." her tone was sarcastic and her smirk was challenging.

"Shut up, Rodriguez." He responded, rolling his eyes playfully.

"Nah, you did good." Erin admitted, "I was..." She paused and then sighed as she admitted the word, as if she hated to say it. "Impressed." His smile made her resent the fact she had complimented him. "And you won me five dollars." She quickly added, trying to do away with any satisfaction he had felt.