It's Just Turbulence

"I trust Patsy," Jennifer announces from the vehicle's passenger seat, now with her coat removed and down to her t-shirt and shorts in the wardrobe change.

Natasha leans back, "You realize voices can be faked."

"I'm aware."

She nods, hungry and tired, "I could adopt a new persona if I get some hair dye."

"Those box dyes never work the way you want them to."

Natasha lifts a shoulder and allows herself to chuckle.

Jen tugs at the seatbelt to give herself additional freedom and opens the center console. Dramatically, she 'Oohs'.

"What?" Natasha checks in.

"Cash. Change. Six dollars and 42 cents."

She nods, "I can work with that."

"Me too,' Jen bites her lip, 'hey, take the next exit."

"Why?" Natasha laughs nervously.

"Please?"

The spy huffs, "I'd like to know why."

Jennifer smiles, "I have an idea."

Natasha mumbles in Russian and follows Walters' request through and exits. She reluctantly and silently follows the navigation and eventually pulls over against a curb alongside the ocean.

The spy puts the vehicle in park, "I feel like you're about to cause trouble."

"You're not big on trust, are ya?"

Natasha shakes her head and stares forward as she mulls over how many times she's been burnt.

"Wait here," Jen leaps from the car and heads north on the strip with her chin lifted in search.

Natasha shakes her head and forces herself not to supervise. She views the water, her head resting against the back of her seat.

The lawyer announces her return by knocking a knuckle against the window with full hands.

"Come on," she urges Natasha to follow.

Romanoff sighs and takes her time exiting, walking behind Jennifer, who extends a hot dog in her direction.

Jen stops over a sand hill at the water's edge and just before a rock formation on the empty sideof the beach.

Natasha sits beside her and lifts her meal, "I would've bought supplies."

"We still have $2 left," Jen answers with her mouth full.

"Why here?" The spy says as she takes a bite.

Jennifer looks out at the water with her eyes lighting up, "I loved school, but I also enjoyed counting down the days until I could spend summer with my cousin and our aunt. I spent so many Fourth of Julys out here- Bruce and I would drive her crazy and swim out into the water, watching the jets fly by."

Natasha looks out over the water, feeling the breeze on her face as the birds fly up on the dock and beyond the sunset.

"It's pretty," she whispers.

"It was always this, perfect escape."

"I see."

"What about you? Where's your safe space when you're not wearing the hero hat?"

She scoffs, head falling, "You keep calling me that."

Jen offers a cup full of water.

Natasha shakes her head, once again lowering her food, "I'm not sure there is such a place for me. There's nowhere I can outrun my mind..."