Chapter 3

Sarah's

I was busy fixing our tools inside the clinic when I heard a commotion outside, it's already 8 pm, madilim at tanging mga insekto nalang ang naririnig kanina sa labas, pinagpatuloy rin ng mga kasama ko ang pag papahinga pero parang tila nabulabog ang lahat nang may marinig kami sa labas.

“The team with captain hayes got ambushed!” kumunot ang nuo ko sa narinig saka marahang ipinatong ang isang tray sa lamesa saka lumabas.

I saw a wounded soldier clutching his bleeding arms, inaalalayan 'to ng mga kasamahan n'ya na naka upo sa isang bench “what happened?” I asked as I check on him.

“I got it from the explosion”
He said, I nod and instructed them to bring him inside, na informed na rin ang ilan sa mga kasama ko kaya pinagtulungan namin s'yang gamutin, hindi naman malala ang natamo n'ya, it's just a minor injury pero grabe na ang tagas ng dugo sa braso n'ya kaya naman kailangan pa rin 'yong linisan ng maigi at balutan.

Bukod sa sugat n'ya sa braso mayroon rin s'yang mga ilang galos sa katawan pati sa muka.

“what about your comrades? Is there anyone else injured except you?”
I asked when I noticed that he's the only one here with wounds. Mag sasalita na sana s'ya nang pumasok sa loob si lieutenant Alvarez, nag mamadali 'to at halatang wala sa huwisyo.

“what's the situation? what about the casualties?”
He said with authority. The soldier gave him the respect before telling what happened before the bombing happens.

It turned out that the team with the captain got ambushed while taking patrol and checking on the people in the nearest town, they didn't expect that it will happen while they were talking to the citizens since the town was already marked as safe. there are several people that got injured and some of them are missing, while some of the citizens are now safe, hindi pa lang sure sa iba.

“how's the captain?” lieutenant Alvarez asked.

“he's still there, he ordered me to come here quick to report and ask for medical assistant and back up, there's a lot of people who got involve from the explosion” the soldier said, tahimik lang naman kaming nakikinig habang binabalutan s'ya ng benda.

Judging by his statement it seem that we need to be there immediately.

“how is he doc?”
Lieutenant Alvarez asked bago s'ya nag lakad palapit sa'min.

“there's nothing to worry about, hindi naman ganoon kalala ang mga natamo n'ya but he still needs to rest and don't move or use his right arm for the meantime, he needs a proper rest for 1 to 2 weeks for a better healing process, because of the skin that he loses from the burns” I asked and smiled at him.

“thanks doc”
The soldier said so I just smiled.

“it's my duty, so no need to thank me”
I said and patted his shoulder, tumayo ako at hunarap kay lieutenant Alvarez. “aren't we going to the nearest town?” I asked lieutenant Alvarez, bahagya pa s'yang nagulat bago tumango saka inutusan ang ibang sundalo na ihanda ang sasakyan na gagamitin namin papunta roon.

Isa isa kaming kumuha ng backpack na nag lalaman ng mga medical tools at ng mga pang first aid kit, samantalang ang ilang mga maaring kailanganin naman namin sa isang worst situation ay isinakay na sa truck, katulad ng isang stretchers at iba pa.

“are we really supposed to go there doc?” nurse anne said with worry and scared expression, I smiled to assure her.

“you don't need to come if you're really scared anne, you can stay here”
I said as I patted her back but she shook her head.