Chapter 2

The smell she had avoided like the plague for the last seven years filled the room. She moved carefully to her desk and halted, trying to keep her cool. She was convinced the three guys could hear her heart racing and so validate her suspicions that they were werewolves. They were also aware that she was a werewolf herself. She politely requested that Ryan remain outside until further notice. Ryan had found this unusual, but there was nothing he could do but obey his boss's directions.

'Won't you bow down to your King, rogue?' One of them questioned Nikita. The severity in his voice surprised her, and she gasped at the new information. The King of the Alphas. Maximus Drake was the King of all werewolves as well as a werewolf. Without responding, she took a moment to examine the three men intently. All three of them exuded enormous power, with the man in the centre standing out the most. The scar above his left eye made his face appear harsh, but his demeanour, stance, and whole appearance emanated elegance. He was wearing a custom-made suit and was holding a Rolex. His phone alone cost more than an average person would earn in their lifetime. He was undeniably attractive, but that was not what drew Nikita's attention to him. It was his gaze. Not the shape or colour of his eyes, but the feelings that go with them. The eyes are the soul's window. His eyes were filled with energy, mischief, intelligence, and if she was brave enough, a touch of intrigue in them. Maximus had known Nikita was a werewolf long before contacting her for business, Nikita was confident.

Nikita, hesitant to respond, switched her glance to the man to her right. He'd most likely be the Royal Pack's Beta. He was muscular and had a serious expression on his face. Nikita assumed he was the one who had just questioned her. The third man, whom Nikita thought was the Gamma or the Royal Pack's Head Warrior, appeared more relaxed and humorous. They were graceful and sophisticated without losing their distinct personal touch in their demeanour.

Nikita tried to calm herself down and extended her hand to shake their hands.

'That is not the appropriate manner to welcome your King,' snarled the Beta.

'I make no bows.' The King roared as Nikita's words left his mouth. Beta stood up, ready to punish her with his King's instruction.

'I do not tolerate insolence' the King declared coldly, his tone tinged with fury. 

Nikita immediately looked down and continued to explain herself.

'Please do not misunderstand, Mr. Drake. I do not want to offend you or the Royal Pack. But I have not sensed my wolf's presence in seven years, ever since I was ruthlessly rejected by my mate. I guess I am no longer a wolf. As a result, I respect you, but I am no longer a part of your world'.

Nikita raised her head to look at the King once more, but he was already staring at her.