Grumbo Enemies AU

TW: suicidal thoughts, angst, swearing 

Mumbo and Grian were enemies. Always have been. Why? Because every hero needs a villian. Grian was that hero. Mumbo was that villain. 

Mumbo had Grian cornered. After years of fighting, the villain was winning. 

"Got you, Grian. Finally." Mumbo smirked, looking evil as ever.

"... Go on. Do it. Kill me." 

"What?" 

"Kill me! I'm done! I hate fighting you! They say heroes always win, but I'm no hero. I'm pathetic. I'm weak. And you know what the worst part is?!" Grian stopped to take a breath, he had his eyes squinted shut, tears running on the crow's foot creases and dripping down his face, meeting at the chin and falling. 

"It's that I love you! I always have, and I always will! I just can't STAND it anymore! So I'll say it again. Just FUCKING KILL ME!" The tears were racing down, wet spots forming on Grian's clothes. He faced his head to the floor. 

"Please. Do it." The tears fell on the floor, and his voice was quieter, softer. Mumbo lifted Grian's chin up, and the two made eye contact. Grian was a mess, his hair unkempt and his face stained with tears. He looked at Mumbo and let out a sob. 

"Please." It was a whisper this time. 

"Grian..." Mumbo looked at his enemy of so long. All the snarky remarks, the teasing, the playful flirting, the fighting. He knew what he had to do. 

He kissed Grian. 

Grian's eyes lit up. His heart felt repaired, so he kissed back, grabbing Mumbo's face. 

"I thought you hated me." 

"I've loved you for a while. Grian. I just didn't realize. There's a fine line between love and hate, you know." 

"I love you Mumbo. Please don't kill me." 

"I could never." They embraced each other, protecting each other. How long did they stay there? Who knows. 

Grian chuckled. "I'm an idiot." 

"Idiots in love. How sweet." They shared another kiss. 

~328 words~