Chapter 31: Splash

"No matter how prepared you are, there is still someone that will drive you to stutter, moreover spill a coffee to yourself"

🌊Splash🌊

...^-^......^-^......^-^......^-^...

I was blue as I saw the others gather around the shoreline, outfitted in life jackets. They were whispering things to each other and laughing nervously.

I saw the resolve in their eyes as they went to the starting  line. Even Clarity, who'd grumbled at first, was willing to take on the task. I was excluded, but I couldn't help but feel excited on what will happen.

I looked at Rijo, who had not spoken since the morning, and he smiled comfortingly at me. He seemed to be reassuring me in a quiet way that things will work out. I gave him a nod in return.

The thing that floats really is massive. It even covers the view of the water from here. It was like this enormous platform on the lake that literally looks like one of the arenas in the Hunger Games. Since the surface wasn't too slick, we, or they, could move around without fear of slipping into the water.

A flag, like a target, was perched on a pole in the center. The flag was easily recognizable thanks to its vivid colors. To reach the flag as a team, we, or again they, had to complete a bunch of tasks.

Ropes, nets, and platforms hanging over the lake were scattered around the margins. They needed to figure out a way to cross without going under.

There were five floating bridge toward the main scenario, connecting from the shore. It could only mean one thing—five teams.

Noah appeared beside me which made me flinched.

"What aren't you there? I mean, It looks like it's starting," I said.

"Why aren't you?" He returned the question.

"...I'm not allowed."

"And I'm not in the mood. Let them grab the flag themselves like it's the most important thing in the world," he commented.

"Okay...?"

"Look at the other teams. Look at the big guys, We wouldn't have a single chance. Even look at the small people there who writes for their lives, they are small but smart, they can trip you off the floaty and you'll drown merrily."

He's talking like we're in some kind of a dystopian death game right now.

"Yes we have a chance...! Uh, look at Rijo. He's tall and he has big bice- arms- I mean, yeah, he's big. I mean not that. He's strong. Yes."

We were watching them get ready like dumb substitutes in the bench.

"Then what about Sage?" he asked out of the blue.

"I guess he's alright."

"Uhuh. Just a little-little bit smaller than Rijo, but you can't even tell the difference if you put them side to side. He also looks tough."

"He'll do fine."

"I thought they made up. It doesn't look like it." He noticed the atmosphere between them from here.

I stared at the distance. After seeing them get schooled by Ms. Aelyza, I turned to the other people. Photojourns looking tough as always. I don't even get why'd they be looking all scary. One guy even caught me staring at them and gave me a wink. I scrunched my nose as a reply. Writers were fine until they sat on the sand and did a ritual which was weird to the bones. Publishing guys were the only one normal. I saw Ethan stretching and warming up. He waved at me at the distance. When I returned my eyes to the team, I found the two of them glancing here.