Chapter 18: Not. My. Baby!!!

"Nurse!!!!! Nuuuurrrrssseeee!!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, feeling like the walls were closing in on me. This couldn't have been happening. The door opened, and the nurses rushed in. "What's wrong, ma'am?" they asked, their faces filled with concern. One nurse approached with her stethoscope. "I want my baby, where's my baby?" I pleaded through tears, even hiccupping from all the crying. The nurses exchanged glances before turning back to me. "I... I'm sorry, ma'am, but your baby is no longer with us. She passed away due to complications." My ears started ringing. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "What... What did you just say?" I asked, hoping it was a joke or a prank. The nurse repeated the words, and my heart shattered. "Your baby passed away, ma'am." I stared at her, tears streaming down my face. Beep beep beep beep beep. Oh no, that didn't sound good. My body went into shock, and I began to shake uncontrollably. All I heard were the nurses calling for the doctor, and my vision blurred.

LINAWE MOKOENA

Khanyisile was going through so much right then, and my heart ached for my best friend. She had been so excited about this planned baby. Senzo had asked for some time alone, consumed by guilt over the incident. Thabiso hurried down the stairs. "Oh my word, babe... You'll end up tripping on those stairs," I remarked, as he was holding his car keys. "We need to get to the hospital right now. Khanyisile woke up, had some sort of seizure due to shock. Let's go," he said, grabbing his jacket. I slipped on my sneakers and jacket as well. "Where's Senzo? They couldn't reach him," I asked as we rushed to the car. "His phone is off," Thabiso replied. And just like that, we were on our way to the hospital. Tears threatened to spill, but I had to stay strong for my best friend. It was surreal that this was happening to her. "I'll try calling Senzo," Thabiso said as he dialed Senzo's number. "Hi, this is Senzo... I can't get to the phone right now. Please leave a message after the beep." Voicemail. Really, Senzo? "Senzo, man, where are you?? Khanyi woke up, but it seems like she had another issue. Just come to the hospital, okay?" Thabiso left a voicemail and hung up. In no time, we reached the hospital, rushing out of the car and practically running inside. The doctor spotted us and hurried over. "Thank goodness you guys are here. Mrs. Dlamini had a seizure due to shock." "Is she okay now?" I asked, my eyes brimming with tears. "She's fine, we took care of it. Where's Mr. Dlamini? I've been trying to reach him," the doctor inquired. "I have no idea, doctor. I tried calling him, but he's not answering," Thabiso replied, pulling out his phone. "I'll try calling him again." Thabiso dialed Senzo's number, and I stood there, thoughts racing about my friend's well-being. Would she ever be okay? "Oh my gosh, Senzo, where are you, man!?" Thabiso exclaimed into the phone, frustration evident as the call went to voicemail.

SENZO DLAMINI

I lay face flat on the couch with a heavy head from all the drinking. I had been stressed out lately and I didn't think I could face Khanyisile anytime soon. After a few minutes, I finally mustered the courage to get up from the couch. I slowly searched for my phone until I found it beneath the couch pillow. I tried switching it on, but it wouldn't go on; my phone was low on battery. It had died on the way home. I stood up, and my head started spinning... I hated hangovers. I slowly went into the kitchen to plug my phone into the charger. I left it for a few minutes, then I switched it on. I saw about 10 missed calls from Thabiso. My eyebrows tensed, indicating confusion on my face. I then listened to his voicemail, "Senzo, man, where are you?? Khanyi woke up, but it seemed like she had another issue. Just come to the hospital, okay?" I sobered up immediately and didn't waste any time. Khanyisile was awake! Oh my gosh, she was probably scared when she realised our baby was gone. I grabbed my car keys and rushed to the hospital.