(Act 1) Chapter 6 - The War In Korea (1952-73)

After the end of World War 2 in 1944, the Empire of Japan was at its zenith. Unscathed by the war, its influence dominated Southeast Asia and even Europe. War-time supply lines had now turned into trade routes, and a modern industrialized economy had seen growth during the war. For many at the time, Japan was on its way to becoming a third wheel in the Cold War, and possibly even surpassing both the USA and the USSR with a rapidly growing economy.

But not all was good in Japan. Korea, which had become an integral part of the Japanese Empire since 1910, was also a thorn for Tokyo. Independence movements in the region never stopped. Even as the government attempted to integrate the peninsula since its annexation, the situation would only change in the 30s and 40s as the Japanese government began changing its policy towards Korea from total integration to autonomous integration.

Initially, the new freedoms given to Koreans bolstered the calls for independence. However, as the region was slowly transformed into a nation within the Empire, much like Northern Ireland in Great Britain, the radical sides of Korean politics became increasingly sidelined by the moderate forces who accepted the concept of Home Rule. This, alongside what was called the "Indochina project" after the French government agreed to transfer its Southeast Asian colony to Japan. The Japanese government at the time then handed control of the region to Viet Minh in exchange for economic treaties. This would reinforce the concept of autonomy for loyalty and the idea of a United Empire of Japan and Korea in the socio-democratic and liberal circles of the Japanese government.

But not all saw those ideas in the same light. The conservatives and nationalists in Tokyo deeply opposed any idea of Home Rule for Korea, as they saw it as nothing more than their own government caving in to "outrageous demands" from the Koreans. They would constantly call for the dissolution of the Chōsen Assembly and a return to direct rule from Tokyo, but they would always fail in doing so.

Then the 1948 general elections would decisively change the course of the reforms, as the Nationalist party known as the Imperial Restoration Association, led by a former general and war hero named Minoru Akai, would win the Japanese elections.

The man who would become the new prime minister of Japan was a nationalist and a former low-level member of the Toseiha faction in the old IJA. He was well known for his criticism of Japanese Democracy, especially the policies of autonomy for Korea. His electoral campaign would primarily focus on the Korean Autonomy question, inflaming the reactionary forces who opposed many of the Liberal-Social Democrat reforms. When he ascended to his position as Prime Minister in 1949, Minoru initially formed a coalition government with conservative parties, alongside other fringe nationalist and fascist parties, allowing him to garner enough support to form a majority government.

The Minoru administration would initially be marked by sweeping economic reforms that saw a reduction of government spending, mostly in social welfare, alongside the lowering of taxes for private companies and enterprises. This was further fueled by market deregulation and privatization of many state industries, garnering him, allies in the economic sector, especially from the Zaibatsus, who were the biggest beneficiaries of the reforms. This was due, in part, to the various backroom deals made with the Minoru administration, in exchange for their support in keeping his coalition together and lobbying.

Minoru would only start implementing his actual plans in 1951, after securing support from most of the economic and political elite to ensure that his legislation would pass with minimal opposition. He initially passed various legislations that allowed him to consolidate as much of the executive power in the hands of the prime minister, while still avoiding making it appear as a dictatorial takeover. Even though the conservative parties supported his economic and Korean policies, they were still against the end of democratic rule.