- chapter ten

THE MAIN STAIRWELL, located in the forward part of the ship and began on the Boat Deck, extended six flights down to E Deck. B and D Decks contained entry foyers on either side where First-Class passengers would embark and disembark, the D Deck entryway leading directly into the Reception Room.

Each level was constructed in solid English oak with sweeping curves, and the surrounding spaces were paneled in the sleek neoclassical William and Mary style. The balustrades displayed distinctive wrought iron grilles with ormolu swags in the style of Louis XIV. The A Deck level was undoubtedly the most spectacular and recognizable.

The staircase was crowned by an extravagant wrought iron and glass dome with a large chandelier. The wrought-iron dome was installed on the roof of the boat deck and provided natural light to the stairwell before being artificially lit at night from behind. On the central landing of the A-Deck staircase was an exquisitely carved clock with allegorical figures on either side, known as Honor and Glory Crowning Time. At the foot of the stairs, on the newel post of the middle balustrade, was a bronze cherub holding an electric torch.

Neph lifted her head to examine the dome, admiring the details and thoughts that had gone into it. She cupped her hands against her chest and smiled sincerely at witnessing something astonishing. There were many things Neph got to experience during her short time on Earth, but she never imagined that she would catch the wonders of this floating palace.

Lucy and Kelly made their way down, leaving Neph behind so she could twinkle in delight. The trio spent a short time wandering the spaces until the time for dinner began. This gave Neph the opportunity to witness the Grand Staircase for herself. But deep down, she wished to catch Caledon before becoming engulfed by another guest.

In another world, she would have been intelligent about this situation. Place her heart in a box and ignore the desperate charm of this man. She'd know better. But in this world, Neph cannot get him out of her head. She hated that. She hated him for it.

Her brown eyes searched downward as she leaned over the railing, coming to a stop to see Jack at the bottom. The man is cleaned up. With a nice suit, she knew he could never afford it. Still, Neph thought her friend to be handsome.

Caledon was nowhere to be found.

"Miss. Laroche?" Rose spoke behind Neph with curiosity. The brown-skinned woman turned, gripping the railing to see Rose smiling at her. It was surprising to see Rose alone, without Cal, Jack, or Ruth beside her. To think of it, Neph hadn't had any time with Rose independently. There was always someone looming nearby, and they never got to speak. Neph knew nothing about Rose.

"Oh, hello," Neph spoke, smiling back at Rose as she eyed her evening gown. It indeed made heads turn. The beaded and embroidered evening dress Rose wore was divine. The coral taffeta is paired with a tiered wrap-around beaded overlay, giving a look of deep red with the transparent black layer and matching beading. With the elegant white opera gloves, statement-making diamond necklace, and earrings. Her hair was worn up in a gorgeous bun with matching beads, and she had a bold pop of red lipstick.

Neph felt captivated by Rose's magnificence. While Neph's dinner gown was just as elegant and breathtaking, it did not match the shimmering beads that were like diamonds. This is the first sign of their class differences. Every inch defined them, and Neph felt a little silly by her attire. She must look less than compared to everyone else.

"You look lovely tonight, Miss. Laroche," and Rose meant it. There wasn't any jealousy but some tension. That feeling of a looming threat came between them. As the other felt differently about what that threat could be, it all wrapped up into one big mess of tension. Still, Rose felt the same way Neph felt about her. Beautiful and clean.