38|Awkward

You know how in some horror movies, the main character acts like a total idiot and stands there while the monster or possessed demon is mere seconds away from attacking? Usually, I'd be the first one to scream at the television and tell them to ru...

You know how in some horror movies, the main character acts like a total idiot and stands there while the monster or possessed demon is mere seconds away from attacking? Usually, I'd be the first one to scream at the television and tell them to run, but now, standing in front of Liam panting and shirtless after just fucking his ex-girlfriend?

Yeah, I get it now.

"Liam," I say, confused as all hell. "What are you doing here?"

He hasn't changed a bit after seeing him for winter break a few months ago. He's still tall and slim with blonde hair cropped short on the sides and a bit longer on top. He's gotten slightly paler since leaving California, but overall, he's still my best friend. Especially when that contagious grin settles across his face, a dimple popping out on his right cheek. It's more familiar than I want it to be, which only causes the guilt to fester in my chest.

Liam is my best friend, and his ex-girlfriend is showering off my come in the bathroom.

"You didn't think Iz would invite me? We're practically family, you know. She thought it'd be best if we kept it a surprise."

"Oh, she did?" My jaw ticks ever-so-slightly. I'm going to kill my sister the next time I see her. I don't care if it's her wedding week.

Liam arches a brow, analyzing the broken vase behind me, and then my bare chest streaked with sweat. "Working out?" He asks. "I can't imagine you've already found someone to warm your bed after only being here a few hours."

"I—"

The door to the bathroom swings open, and I curse under my breath when Emery comes out wrapped in a towel. Thank god she didn't walk out naked. She was supposed to be showering, but maybe she forgot something. 

As soon as her eyes land on Liam, her face grows as white as a sheet, and she grips the towel tighter around her body. I watch her scrambling to find an excuse to explain this, but she's frozen in place, her feet planted to the bamboo flooring.

Liam chuckles, arms crossed over his chest. "Izzy told me you guys had to share a hut because of the lack of room. I can't possibly imagine how that's going. Judging by the vase..." He arches that damn brow again. "I'd say not too well."

Emery huffs, falling into character. "We got into a fight." Realizing she's still in a towel, she narrows her eyes at me. "I thought you left to give me some space."

Fucking hell. Now would be the perfect time to come clean, but just like Emery, I'm not ready to do it yet. Not when he's acting so naive to this situation. He's standing there like a golden retriever, prepared to have a fun week in paradise. Am I really going to break the news to him now when he's so clueless?

I need to discuss this with Emery before we decide anything. We have to devise a plan when Liam isn't standing right in front of us and figure out what the hell we're going to tell him. What we're not going to do is come clean to him after we freshly fucked.