UNEXPECTED GUEST

Everyone stood before the Sect gate, their eyes fixed on the approaching figures. The Shaoyang Sect leader had received prior notice of their arrival on the second day, coinciding with the commencement of the Flower Ceremony. With a smile, both the representatives of the Demon Citadel and the Heaven Officials observed the Sect leaders.

"Why aren't we invited?" Wuzhi Qi crossed his arms in a somewhat playful defiance, while others around him wore dejected expressions. The sect leaders shared a knowing laugh at their child-like antics, and the rest simply smiled. Now, with the inclusion of all members from the Heaven and Demon Citadel, this year's Flower Ceremony promised to be a joyous occasion like no other. Their hearts brimmed with happiness, as all their friends were united in one place.

"Where are your promising disciples?" King Bailin asked in a perplexed tone, his gaze sweeping over the gathering of cultivators from various sects. Others exchanged uncertain glances as they, too, couldn't spot the missing disciples. Xuanji and Sifeng exchanged knowing sighs, well aware of Yichen's penchant for disappearing when least expected.

"Everyone, please wait inside. I'll go and call them," Xuanji politely informed, taking Sifeng along with her to retrieve their only child. The others nodded in understanding and headed indoors.

In the tranquil peach forest, Sifeng and Xuanji located Yichen engrossed in his sword practice. He wore an outfit reminiscent of his father's, distinguished by the addition of a light yellow robe layered over pristine white garments, and his hair fashioned into a high ponytail. Yichen gracefully wields a sword, moving with fluidity. His every motion is a testament to years of devoted practice. The air hums with the swish of the blade as they execute intricate forms, embodying the spirit of a seasoned swordsman.

Yichen gripped the sword firmly in his right hand, spinning his body in a graceful circle as he twirled his right hand above his head, and then unleashed a powerful strike. As he did so, a protective layer, shimmering in a captivating shade of Maya blue, materialized around him. Yichen focused intently, striving to maintain this ethereal shield that enveloped him, serving as his protective barrier.

Gazing at their son, a sense of pride and joy lit up in the eyes of his parents, their smiles reflecting their deep sense of pride. As they approached, their steps halted when they noticed a presence observing their son.

A previously uncharted feeling began to stir within Sifeng, and he quickly recognized it as anger. The rules leading up to the Flower Ceremony were unwavering - no one was permitted to observe disciples from other Sects practising, as it would provide an unfair advantage. Xuanji observed this change in Sifeng's demeanour and cautiously approached the unfamiliar person who was concealed behind the trees. Gently, she took his hand and guided him away from the concealing trees. Her gaze locked onto Sifeng, and she realized he was headed towards Yichen.

"Yichen", Sifeng softly called for Yichen, prompting the boy to turn around. Upon hearing his father's voice, Yichen swiftly dismantled the protective shield he had cast around himself and offered a respectful bow of ninety degrees in the presence of his parents.

Yichen sensed something unusual; his parents were there, and there was a new face as well. He decided to interrupt his practice and join his parents, eager to uncover the reason for this unexpected gathering. Approaching his parents, Yichen's gaze shifted towards the unfamiliar boy his mother held. Yichen, having dedicated four years of unwavering preparation for the Flower Ceremony, possessed an impeccable understanding of its rules.

"What's going on?" Yichen inquired, scanning the situation. His gaze settled on his parents, curiosity evident in his eyes, especially regarding the unfamiliar boy who had joined them. Sifeng locked eyes with the newcomer, who kept his head lowered. Yichen couldn't fathom how this boy had appeared seemingly out of nowhere while he was engrossed in his practice.