10

Matthieu had always known there was something special about Rebecca. From the moment they became friends, he felt an unexplainable connection with her, a bond that went deeper than mere friendship. Yet Matthieu, burdened with his own insecurities, was afraid to take the risk and reveal his true feelings for her. He cherished their friendship too much to jeopardize it with a confession of love.

Unbeknownst to Matthieu, Rebecca had also been carrying her own secret love for him all those years. Every time he flirted with other girls or entered into relationships, it felt like a dagger piercing her heart. She would hide her pain, choosing to suffer silently instead of letting him know the depth of her love. With each new romance, her hope of being with him one day dwindled, until it seemed nonexistent.

One fateful day, Matthieu introduced his new girlfriend, Marie, to their circle of friends. Rebecca could see the happiness in his eyes, how his smile reached wider than ever before. And while she was happy for him, her spirits sank deeper into despair. It became unbearable for her to watch him with another woman.

Unable to bear the pain any longer, Rebecca made the difficult decision to cut ties with Matthieu. She couldn't continue living in a perpetual state of heartache, clinging to a love she could never have. It was time to heal, to move on and find some semblance of happiness without him.

For four long years, Rebecca avoided any news or mention of Matthieu. She poured herself into self-improvement, pursuing her career and seeking solace in her hobbies. Yet, despite her efforts, she could never truly give another man a chance. Her heart, like a locked chest, only held space for Matthieu.

One quiet afternoon, as she sat in her favorite cafe, lost in her thoughts, a familiar face caught her attention. It was Matthieu, standing just a few feet away. The years had treated him well, but as Rebecca looked into his eyes, she couldn't deny the lingering pain that resurfaced at the sight of him.

Matthieu, oblivious to the effect he had on her, seemed genuinely surprised and thrilled to see her. He approached her cautiously, his voice a mix of excitement and trepidation. "Rebecca, it's been so long. How have you been? Are you still mad at me?"

Rebecca's heart wavered, torn between the remnants of her love for him and the anger she had harbored for his unknowing cruelty. Yet, she managed to steady her voice and replied, "It's been a long time, Matthieu. I've moved on, and I'm doing well. I hope you are too." Her words were laced with a hint of melancholy.

Matthieu's face fell, a mixture of regret and longing. "Rebecca, I want you to know that I've made so many mistakes. I was blind and foolish not to see what was right in front of me. You mean more to me than any other girl ever could. But I understand if you can't forgive me."

Rebecca held back tears, conflicted emotions swirling inside her. "Matthieu, I can't deny that a part of me will always love you. But I can't continue to live in this limbo, hoping for something that may never happen. I can't let myself be hurt anymore."

Matthieu reached for her hand, desperation clear in his eyes. "Rebecca, please, give me a chance to make things right. I've realized the depth of my feelings for you too late, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to prove to you that you're the one. I love you, Rebecca."

Tears rolled down Rebecca's cheeks as she looked into Matthieu's eyes, searching for sincerity. It was a risky choice, to give her heart another chance at love. But as her heart yearned for him even after all those painful years, she knew that taking a chance on love was a risk worth taking.

With a trembling hand, she reached out and placed it gently on his cheek. "Okay, Matthieu. I'll give us a chance. But know that my heart is fragile, and it will take time for me to trust you again."

Matthieu nodded, relief washing over him. He knew he had hurt Rebecca deeply, but now he had the opportunity to show her just how much she meant to him. As they embraced, their paths merged once more, two hearts finally finding the love they had yearned for since the beginning.