Chapter 3: Terrace Talks

Neha's Pov 

The next morning...

I step out of my house to go to office and surprisingly, Sarthak's car was not parked anywhere near our gate. Shit... 

I peep in his driveway and his car is still there. Damn Neha, you should have apologised to him yesterday only. 

I gather some courage and walk to his house. I knock at his door and his mom open the door. 

"Hello beta! How are you?" She greets me nicely.

"Hello aunty, is Sarthak home? I thought we could go to office together." Aunty's expressions are enough to describe how shocked she is. Anyone would be. I always used to find ways to avoid Sarthak and today I'm standing at his door, asking for his whereabouts.

"That's a great though beta, but Sarthak has fever. He called in sick from office today." No... I know it's because of me. 

"Oh... okay... Take care... I'll take your leave now..." I say and leave. 

I end up driving alone to the office. The whole day, I keep thinking about what should I say to Sarthak and how should I reconcile with him. Our sarcastic exchanges are like food for me and trust me, I'm starving. 

Everything at office reminds me of him, my laptop reminds me of when we were arguing about whose laptop is better. Sounds of laughter remind me of what a good sense of humour he has, although I never admit it in front of him. And that idiot Pihu's face reminds me again and again of the fight that we had yesterday and how much I hurt Sarthak over the time we have known each other.  

The workday is finally over and I drive home, still thinking of ways to talk to him. I don't want the conversation to be over whatsapp where he wouldn't be able to see my face. Okay okay okay, then the best way to talk to him would be to call him on the terrace after everyone falls asleep so that we can have a face-to-face conversation. But what if he's still sick? I can try at least. 

It's 11 pm and everyone has gone to sleep. I open his chat on Whatsapp. Damn, the amount of slap and cat stickers we have sent to each other can make anyone think that we want to kill each other. 

I text him.

Neha- Hii, I'm so sorry for yesterday. How are you feeling now? Can you come to the terrace right now... please... 

Within like 10 seconds, he reacts with a thumbs up to my message. 

I rush to the terrace and wait for him, the cool breeze brushing my hair to the side of my face. Just then, his terrace door opens and he steps out. He briefly examines my expressions but I'm unable to read his. 

He steps closer to the partition wall, on the other side of which I am standing. 

Without wasting a single second, I say with sheer sincerity," I am really sorry Sarthak, not just for Yesterday, for all the times I have hurt you. For all the time I try to mask my... jealousy... with annoyance for the actions you did not even perform." 

His lips curve into a small smile and a rush of relief flows through my body.

"And?" He says. What? He wants me to say more? Okay fine, it was my fault so yeah.

"And, I got to know to know that you have fever. I... I don't want to overexaggerate stuff by saying that I feel like I caused it. But, I'm extremely ashamed of myself if I even contributed in it 1 ppm (part per million)." Yeah I used a little chemistry reference that I remember from class 9th-10th I guess which makes his smile a little wider. 

"And?" He asks again. And what... What else should I say? 

"And I..." I don't know how should I finish the sentence. I don't want to say anything that either of us will not be able to bear later. A comforting silence settles between us. We're looking straight into each others' eyes searching for answers we never knew we needed. 

"I what?" He says in a soft voice. Just then a cool breeze blows sending shivers down my spine.

"I think you should go to sleep now. You should take rest, you aren't feeling well." I say while fidgeting with my fingers. 

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense." He says in a disappointing tone and starts to walk towards is door. 

"Wait!" I almost should, thankfully not loud enough to wake up the whole neighbourhood. I jump over the partition wall and go to his terrace. 

He's carefully watching my every move but not saying anything. I grab his right hand, slowly open his palm and hand over a piece of paper to him. I look at his confused eyes and give him a smile. I sprint to m house then, without looking back because I wanted to end the conversation on that note itself. (Note hehe, note the use of words hehehe) 

Wondering what was in that paper?? (author: the handwriting is bad because I wrote it with my mouse, scroll down, the chapter isn't over yet) 

Yes, I can not bring back the time we have lost but I wanted to make the most of the time ahead of us. Well, childish banters are a must but the frequency should definitely be reduced. 

Aaaa... why do I regret everything I do? I should have stayed on the terrace to look at his expressions. He would probably have laughed at my childishness. What if he doesn't agree with starting afresh? It's okay, whatever it is, I'll make peace with it. 

Just then my phone rings with two notifications. First, I open the one that I have been eagerly waiting for since 10 minutes lol. 

I opened Sarthak's Chat. 

Sarthak- Yes! 

Aaaa yayyyy! He even added an exclamation mark. I shouldn't think much about it because he probably didn't either. 

Then I see that a kid in my neighbour has sent a picture on one time view on our colony kids' whatsapp group where there are no parents.

I open that picture and OMG! I am going to slap this kid Rohan aka Bablu so hard! He took a picture of me and Sarthak talking on terrace and sent it with the caption, "Enemies to lovers or whattt!" 

I immediately clicked on reply privately and texted that kid.

Neha- Delete this immediately or I'll tell your mom what you did a week ago. 

This kid is in 11th standard and he snuck up a girl in his house last week when his parents were out of town. You know when they say walls have ears and doors have eyes, it's absolutely true. The door is me, I am the door. And I also have a phone, with a 64 MP camera, that can take high quality pictures even in the dark. 

He reacts to my message with a scared face emoji and immediately deletes that picture. 

Hah! 

Heyyy everyone! Here's the new chapter. I hope you liked it. If you liked it, vote, comment, add my book to your reading list. Follow me if you like my books. The next chapter will probably be out on Sunday. Love you all <3