The Fog

It was unseasonably cold for this time of year, and the bitter wind burned Noah's cheeks as he made his way down the empty street to his office building.

He threw his dark hood over his head and pushed open the stain glass door to reveal a slew of people meandering around the foyer. Each one of them was dressed in either a tux or ballgown, and Noah glanced down at his jeans and black turtleneck in disappointment.

"Mr. Sebastian." A voice bellowed from the elevator across the way, and through the crowd Noah's eyes landed on his best friend Joakim "Jolly" Karlsson. His long brown hair was pulled back into a slick low bun, and he was donned in a grey suit and black bowtie.

Feeling even more self-conscious of his outfit choice, Noah weaved his way through the throng of people to Jolly and gave him a small shrug before disappearing into the elevator.

As the door slowly closed, the noise from the foyer silenced and Jolly gave him a smirk. "I thought I told you to dress up."

"This is me dressing up." Noah hissed, rolling his eyes to the ceiling.

Noah and Jolly had been friends since college, and the two got hired to the same company after graduation. The door to the elevator dinged and slid open to the fifteenth floor, and they both stepped out into the quiet office space.

The nice thing about working at the FSA was that nobody knew it existed except for the select few that worked there. To the outside world, they were a Stock Trading company but in reality, they were special agents for the FBI supernatural division.

"I don't understand why we have to dress up just to walk through the lobby." Noah muttered while taking a seat at his desk that overlooked 5th street.

Fog was rolling in, and it created an eerie feeling inside of him that he couldn't quite shake. It was a little too quiet for the time of day, and he knew something was off.

"Because we have to- "Jolly started.

"Blend in." They both recited together and Jolly threw his head back and laughed.

"I don't know why you still complain about it, we've been doing this every year for the past five years."

He was right. The annual Autumn Gala Ball was every year on the second Saturday of October, and every year they had to dress up just to covertly get to their office.

It was silly really, who was going to think anything about four heavily tattooed men walking through a formal ball in street clothes? Then again...

"Did you guys see the mass email Donnovan sent out to us this morning?" Nick questioned, his head poking out from behind his computer.

Nick Folio was another agent in their division, but he didn't go to the same school that Jolly and Noah did. Nick was from California and was recruited through the Head of Department directly. Nicks father retired from FSA after servicing them for twenty years, so he had an in.

Nick double clicked on the mail icon, and an email labeled URGENT pulsed on the screen violently.

FSA,

SAC Roberts has sent out a mass email warning of an imminent supernatural threat to Chicago. No details have been released yet about what we are dealing with. Will update as soon as I get word.

Be on guard and make me proud.

Ty Donnovan

Jolly and Noah's eyes met briefly before Nicholas Ruffilo, the fourth member of the FSA, stepped into the office with a furrowed brow. "I think we have a problem."