Chapter 6: Free

Present

August 15th, 2023

Sara

It was when I was in the kitchen, preparing to make corned beef and meatloaf for dinner, that Leia initiated a video call. I set up my phone on the counter, listening to her recreate the mental picture of the incident she went through. "So, how are you feeling now, two years later?" I ask her gently, easing our way into conversation.

She was sitting on her bed, hair in a messily arranged hair clamp, holding a stuffed bear close to her chest. "I don't know." She replied hoarsely. Her nose had also been stuffy from excessive crying, the mountain of tissues around her as evidence.

At this point, I had already finished prepping my meal. I had given her my full attention now, staring at her incredulously, "What do you mean exactly?" I asked while I was setting up my mini table beside my bed.

She looked up at her screen– at me. "I still blame myself," her voice seemed to quiver with uncertainty.

The bitch couldn't answer because she ended up crying again.

Leia generously provided me with screenshots of the unsettling conversation she had with the guy. At the time the situation happened, she hadn't known any better. She was fifteen.

Before speaking, I gave Leia time to fully relish her emotions. Her hands went up to her face, several more tissues all over the place before she finally spoke up,

"Why?"

Though I instantly knew what she was implying, I refrained from responding. Why? The simple one-question word echoed through my mind too.

"Why did I have to go through this?"

The question floated in the air, she muttered the phrase several times, as it seemed, metaphorically and literally speaking, her heart was breaking into a million pieces.

"Nobody deserves to go through this."

It was one situation out of several that Leia went through but it was one in her books that definitely scarred her. I started speaking, "Hey, listen. Leia, listen to me," my voice was calm but firm enough to get through to her. "it wasn't your fault,"

"But, it is," she contradicts.

"It is not your fault," I say, more firm this time.

"No, no," her head shakes as more teardrops fall.

I shook my head, defending her because she clearly can't. "You were naïve. If there was someone to put the blame on, you know it's him because he knew better."

"But, that's the thing, I'm supposed to be smart," her voice was breaking. 

"This wasn't supposed to happen, if I hadn't let it happen." Word after word slipped out, as she relapsed into the haunting memory.

"Lei," I sighed, "He took advantage of you because he saw how vulnerable you were at the moment. You were a scared fifteen-year-old. You were so terrified you couldn't stand up for yourself. You had no one to approach at the time. All the odds were against you," I said to her with unwavering assurance.