chapter one

Cold gusts of wind rushed through the undergrowth, kicking up the loose leaves, and twigs. A deep sigh escaped river. Their thoughts had wandered off deep in nowhere. The recent events had every living thing on edge in the forest. New arrivals invading the land everyone fought too hard to keep. And yet it was all for nothing as another group of cats shoveled their way in and refugeed in the abandoned mine hollow. Of course, river had no say in anything because they belonged to no group. Something about the new arrivals made river's skin crawl uneasily. The black oriental opened up their almond-shaped eyes. Their olive-green pupils adjusted to the light shining in the tight opening the small den provided. River's tight limber legs stretched as far as they could before quickly hitting the walls loosening up some dirt and small rocks.

Standing up, the feline squeezed out of their home and stretched out their limbs properly this time. The wind pulled in the new smells of unfamiliar cats not too far from here, but they've gotten closer today. Oh, how river began to dread ever having to meet them, even one of them. On the other hand, at least the forest wasn't going to be too lonely, but, river liked it that way. They didn't like others messing with them. Other smells pushed past their nose. The smell of home. Damp wood, musky, but earthy. The smells of prey wafted nearby. Too old to follow. New smells lingered, but the familiar ones of mice and birds. Sighing, river began the tedious task of searching out prey to eat as he did yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that.

Flicking their ears, river set off down the trail they used so often, grass and other plants stopped growing. River ambled down the hill, their tail swaying with their walk. The sounds of the forest made river somewhat queer. The way the birds seemed to have different songs every day, but kept going back to the ones they knew. And the occasional sounds of other animals way off in the distance. Keeping tucked away in their thoughts, river stopped along the creek and bounced on one to the other stepping stones. Picking up speed, the feline took off into the field.

Now this was home. The large open field where they could run for what felt like forever. The grass was always dry, but in spring, right when the snow is melting away, is when it's at its peak. The lush, deep green overtook the already green forest. Sometimes lavender grew with its recurring dandelions and it made the whole field complete. That's something river did look forward to seeing.

Slowing down, the feline crouched down almost immediately when seeing some grass move unnaturally. Picking up the scent the wind was carrying downwind. River stayed still. Though his black pelt was easy to spot, river had mastered the art of hunting. Up ahead was a light brown rabbit. Scanning it more it didn't look infected, and the more river thought about the rabbit, the more their paws itched to leap out and grab it. Rabbits were a rarity here. Ever since an unreadable virus spread through the forest, killing almost every living thing two winters ago, most prey like rabbits was hard to find. Of course, rats were the only prey to eat for a while, the prey could still be infected. One bite and you'd be a goner.

That's one of the reasons he'd been on edge ever since the new group arrived because they could be carrying either the same or a new virus. River barely moved. Their paws inching forward without a sound. As the cat got closer, blasts of wind threw them off. The rabbit quickly startled and darted off. River was hard on its trail, not wanting to lose the rabbit, but the winds made it difficult. And just like that, it was gone. Spitting with frustration, the cat stood there in the now empty field looking down at the rabbit's hole. Nothing but the wind shouted. It was silent. River lashed their tail and watched the sky up above. The way the clouds quickly covered the sky like a dark blanket. Droplets of rain started to fall and not too far along, the rain picked up fast. Pouring down on the land like the cloud were just dumping buckets of water.

River didn't mind the rain. They stood there in protest, letting the hard droplets hit his back. The same feeling of defeat and disappointment washed over river. Their fur now soaked with rain, headed back to their den. At least there it would be dry, but warm and welcoming.