Death pt 1

Joshua

I reach Zara's house, the anticipation of seeing her building with each step.

I raise my hand and knock on the door, the sound echoing through the quiet neighborhood.

But before the sound of my knuckles fades, a sudden burst of shots pierces the air nearby. The deafening sound startles me, making me jump.

This place is notorious for its violence, and it seems like someone is always getting shot

Despite the unsettling noise, I gather my courage and continue knocking on the door, determined to see Zara.
But then, a nagging feeling stops me in my tracks.

Should I really go inside? Is it safe? Doubt creeps in, and I turn around, contemplating my next move. Maybe I should check out what's happening, I think to myself.

I step off the porch and follow the sound of the shots, my curiosity pulling me forward. It leads me to a nearby playground, an odd sight considering the circumstances.

Confusion washes over me as I take in the strange juxtaposition of a place meant for joy amidst the chaos of violence.

And then, in the distance, I spot something that sends a shiver down my spine.

A figure lies on the ground, their body convulsing and gasping for breath. The sight is chilling, and I instinctively reach for my phone, dialing 911 without hesitation.

This time, I'm the one making the call, not the one being reported.

"Um... I had heard shots, so I followed them... and now, I think a woman is... bleeding on the ground," I speak urgently into the phone, my voice trembling with a mix of fear and concern.

I listen intently to the operator on the other end, their words guiding me through the chaos.

As the operator instructs me to approach the wounded woman and apply pressure to her wound, a wave of nausea washes over me. The thought of touching her blood makes me gag, but I know it's necessary to help her.

Slowly, I gather my resolve and cautiously move closer.
But as I get nearer, a wave of dread crashes over me, freezing me in my tracks.

"A-addie," I whispered, my voice barely audible, as I quickly crouched down beside her. The sight that greeted me was horrifying - blood smeared across her face, soaking her clothes.

My mind raced, struggling to comprehend the gravity of the situation. "What the hell... What the hell... What the hell," I repeated, the words escaping my lips in a daze.

Tears welled up in my eyes, burning my vision as I fought to maintain composure.

Desperation took hold of me as I lifted up her shirt, applying pressure in a futile attempt to stem the bleeding.

But it kept coming, the crimson stain growing, staining my trembling hands. In that moment, as I looked at her pale face, memories flooded my mind - all the moments we shared, the laughter, the tears. I couldn't bear the thought of losing her, of a future without her.

"Please... Please don't die," I whispered, my voice cracking with raw emotion. In a feeble attempt to understand her final words,

I leaned closer, straining to hear her faint voice amidst the chaos. Her mouth moved, mouthing something, and I strained to catch every syllable.

"A microphone... pocket," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

My heart raced as I checked her pockets, hoping to find some clue, some connection to her words. But there was nothing. Frantically, I looked around, my gaze falling upon the sidewalk. There, crushed and discarded, lay a microphone - as if someone had inadvertently stepped on it

My hands trembled as I picked it up, a glimmer of hope amidst the despair. "Did you find it?" she whispered, her words leaving her body like her lifeblood.

Tears streamed down my face as I nodded, my voice choked with sadness.

"I got it... Addie, please hold on a bit longer. The police are on their way," I whispered, my words a desperate plea to the universe.

In that moment, time seemed to stand still as I clung to the hope that help would arrive in time, that Addie would survive the ordeal. But as the seconds ticked by, the weight of uncertainty pressed upon me.

"I can...see my dad, Josh," she whispered, her voice barely audible. I turned my head away, unable to bear hearing those words.

The weight of her statement hung heavily in the air, filling me with a mix of sorrow and regret.

"He's proud of me," she continued, her voice trembling. I felt a lump forming in my throat as her words pierced through me.

I whispered back, my voice choked with emotion, "I am...too." Despite the pain and chaos surrounding us, I desperately tried to find solace in her words, hoping to hold onto any semblance of hope.

But as I looked at her, trying to see past the blood on her face,

I couldn't ignore the harsh reality. Death was slowly creeping into her eyes, draining the color from her face just as her blood was seeping away.

Time seemed to slow down as I realized the gravity of the situation.

In the distance, the flashing lights of the police cars came into view.

A bittersweet smile formed on my lips as I whispered, "Addie, they are here." I looked down at her face, only to find that she had slipped away from this world.

My heart sank, and a wave of grief washed over me. Tears began to sting my eyes and my nose burned as the weight of the loss settled upon me.

Amidst the chaos, I could hear Elijah's voice, filled with anguish and disbelief.

He held her lifeless body, hugging her tightly, unable to accept what had happened. I stood there, frozen in shock, unable to comprehend the magnitude of the tragedy that had unfolded before me.

Guilt washed over me like a tidal wave. This was all my fault, yet again.

The words echoed in my mind, tormenting me. And then, Elijah's voice rose, filled with pain and anger, "Get out of here! You don't belong here!" His tears spilled over, mirroring the grief etched on the faces of the other officers.

As I moved away from the scene, the weight of the world on my shoulders, I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever find redemption for the mistakes I had made. The sirens wailed in the distance, a haunting reminder of the tragedy that had unfolded.