The Goodbye Pt2

Scully's POV:

This cannot be happening. He is not dead. He did not- "Are you alright?" Skinner asked. "I know this is hard for you."

"I'm okay," I responded, entering the elevator. "I'm fine." Lies. He is not dead. It's a mistake. It's all fake. It's a lie. He is not dead. 

"Let her through!" Someone shouted, but I didn't notice. All that mattered was Mulder. It can't be him. It can't be him. 

The detective lifted the sheet off of the body. It's him. I nod slowly. I feel the emotions swell up in my body. "No!" I scream, and the detective orders everyone out of the room. "This is not happening!" Why? Why? Why? Why Mulder? No! I scream and sob, but I don't know what I say. It doesn't matter. I cradle his head in my arm, sobbing. "Why did you have to leave!" I sob. Skinner comes in and tries to stop me. At some point, he stops. I sob into his hair and leave kisses on his forehead. "The journey didn't have to end."

I feel Skinner pulling me away, but I break free of his grasp. "NO!" I wail into nothingness. "No!" Skinner hands a piece of paper in front of me. I grab it and read it. 

Scully,

I'm sorry it had to end this way. But I can't live knowing that I caused your cancer. It's my fault. You don't deserve to die. I led you down my stupid little path. You could be out, living your dream. But I only held you back. You deserved better than me, Scully. You are my Touchstone, My Constant, My One In Five Billion. You are the only one I could ever trust. I'm sorry that I took your life away from you. You need better. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm sorry that I caused you pain. I love you, Scully. 

"No!" I cry. I stare up at the ceiling. A small small fly moves across it, until getting entangled in a spiders' web. I look back down at my Touchstone, My Constant, My One In Five Billion. "I love you to."