Stud-y Hall

...."So Ivy League, what's your story?" So where do I start? Whenever someone asks me this question, I freeze... And Jesse... He's not much easier to talk to.
"Well, I used to live in the Mojave Desert, but my friends... Well... Anyway, there was no arts program out there so my God Mother, Cory's mom, offered to take me. So here I am." I shrug and chuckle looking nervously up at him. He was staring back at me with a sad face.
"Is everything okay...?" I asked practically jumping out of my skin.
"It's just...your arm..." At first I didn't get what he meant, but then it hit me. I hid my scarred arm. To my surprise, he rolled up the sleeve to his hoodie and showed me the same type. I looked up at him and smiled a little. A weight was lifted off my shoulders when he smiled back and nodded at me.
"You can talk to me whe-" he got pulled into a conversation with some friends, instead of awkwardly waiting for him, I decided to find the room on my own. Luckily, it was right down the hall. I took a set in the back of the class and secretly hoped no one would sit next to me. Unfortunately, I heard the chair next to me being pulled out. I hesitantly looked over and suddenly, my happiness was regained. I saw Jesse slide into the chair and scoot closer to me.
"So this is basically a free period, which is good because I wanna know more about you." My heart nearly burst out of my chest as the words echoed through my head. I laughed and sighed, thinking about my story.
"Well... My mom and I have always been super close... And... I don't know... Well, I sing and I can't dance... Whatsoever..." I laughed and sighed. I looked over at him and he looked baffled.
"You're quite the story Ivy League. And you sing. So I'm guessing you're auditioning for choir?"
"I don't know...my sister is kinda a choir legend...I'm sure you know her too."
"Her name?"
"Kylah B..." By the look on her face, he knew her... And liked her... Or wanted her.
"Ohh... Right... She's... Cool..." He nodded and shifted awkwardly.
"It's fine... She's beautiful. I know. Guys love her aha." I looked down and nodded as the teacher walked in. He introduced himself as Mr. Reily and told us that this was our period to get our class schedules worked out and maybe meet some new people. Wes looked at me and put his hand out.
"I'm Jesse Harper. But you can call me Jes or,as everyone called me up until 7th grade, harpo. I hate it but I'll make an exception for you." He laughed and raised an eyebrow, signaling me to reply.
"I'm Jasmine Mentzer...or Jas a-"
"How about jassy?" I just glared at him in response. The last person who called me jassy was a girl I knew at my old school and now she hates me. "Never mind..." He replied nervously.
"Anyway... I guess I'm New Money too." I rolled my eyes and sighed.
"Nah... You're Ivy League to me." He smiled and nodded. "Yup. Ivy League and Harpo. I mean... Like whatever..." He tried to act all cool but it was okay because I knew he wasn't one of those guys.
------------------After Class------------------
Jesse and I walked out of class as soon as we heard the bell. He told me the key to passing period was speed and agility.
"Okay. Let me see your schedule." I handed him the now folded sheet. "Okay. We have 3rd and 4th period together. Ap English and dance... I thought you couldn't dance?"
"I don't think I can... But I love it. I love all kinds of musical stuff." I shrugged and looked down in embarrassment. No one knew how much I loved dancing because I never did it.
"Well, when Mrs.Doblinsky tells you to pair up, that you pick someone you're comfortable with... Cause those are year long pairs." He laughed and sighed contently.
"I'm guessing, by your ability to socialize with a complete and clumsy stranger that you already have a partner." He looked at me, almost sadly and shook his head. "Well... Do you want one...?" I played with my keychain and looked down. I heard him laugh, and thinking the worst I nodded and didn't bother to look up. "I get it... Sorry. See you 3rd period..." As I went to turn around, something pulled me back, a voice,five words... Music to my ears.
"Ivy League? I'd love to..." I turned back around just as he smiled and nodded.
"Okay... See you then... Harpo..."