Part 42

The paramedics basically disinfect and slap a bandage on Jackson's neck and send him packing. Lydia pointedly turns down his offer for a ride and they wait until they can't see his tail lights anymore before her dad and Derek duck under the crime scene tape to have a discussion.

"So Stiles, was there something you wanted to tell us?" Laura asks pointedly and Stiles sighs.

"I was doing some research and got some help from Lydia and Danny," she explains, and sticks her tongue out at Derek when he scowls. "It was a good idea and I won't apologize for it! Garrison Myers was the insurance investigator working–" she stumbles over her words, "working on the fire that burned down your home. I'm still looking for a connection between him and Kate Argent."

Laura and Derek exchange a tense look before Laura turns back to them. "We already know the connection," she says, voice flat. "She's the one who burned down our house."

"What?!" Stiles, her dad, and Lydia all say at once.

Her dad cuts in. "Why didn't you say anything? Laura, how long have you known?"

She sighs. "A few years. We can talk about it later, but suffice to say she knew about our family."

"Knew what?" Stiles had forgotten for a moment that Lydia was there and didn't know everything yet.

Derek sighs. "Look, can we– if you can call in the techs to process the scene, we could explain a lot of this on the way home. We can cover the rest over dinner," he says, though he doesn't look particularly happy about it, and Stiles is surprised to find she hadn't noticed how close he was standing to her and Laura.

"Eat dinner with us," Stiles offers to Lydia. "It's going to take awhile to explain it all."

Lydia smiles grimly. "I'm not leaving until I know everything."