Chapter 8

A smile tugged at Rhyel's lips as he took a drink from his steaming cup of tea while he watched Sana wave her hand through the misty air on the balcony below.

It intrigued him that she was up so early and curious she chose to step outside in the cold crisp morning. Not even Zena rose this early.

His eyes grew wide at the tiny shimmering wings of a Tsidian moth materializing out of the mist and hovering around the mug in Sana's hand before it landed on the lip of it.

He hadn't seen one of those since his mother was alive. He thought they died with his father when he placed the curse on his bloodline.

Rhyel's heart clenched and he held his breath as Sana brought the cup to her lips, coming face to face with the precious moth. He waited for her to scream, to throw her mug and reject the blessing of being chosen by such a sacred being.

But she didn't.

She...spoke to it.

Rhyel's heart simmered at her soft laugh that carried on the wind as she slipped inside with the moth sitting on her shoulder. She may not have any abilities, but Tsidian moths didn't choose just anyone.

They're drawn to the souls of those gifted with abilities that far surpassed his own. His mother was a highly proficient seer. She could see into the netherworld and walk with the spirits and creatures that lived in the beyond. Until the wraiths caught her off guard and not even his father or her moth could save her from their clutches.

Closing his eyes, Rhyel shook the memory from his mind. That wouldn't happen to Sana. She'd have no reason to trek beyond the wall and the wraiths couldn't pass the barrier he forged over those lands.

He brought his cup to his mouth and gazed down at Sana's empty balcony. What could have possibly drawn that moth to her? Zena would've sensed any latent abilities in her and if she did, she would've told him.

Turning away from the balcony, Rhyel padded across his room into the bathroom, tugging his robe from his shoulders as he went.

Sana Lightbourne was starting to become quite the conundrum and he was determined to figure her out.

"The guards at the eastern border have reported that the Issian soldiers have retreated," Oziel, Rhyel's first officer of the military, said

"The guards at the eastern border have reported that the Issian soldiers have retreated," Oziel, Rhyel's first officer of the military, said. "Mayor Wrentham sends his thanks to you for our quick action and Colonel Einar and Lord Kai have agreed a treaty with Lord Wilfrith to allow safe passage for those who wish to trade within the region of House Venzor."

Rhyel raised an eyebrow. "Lord Kai assisted with the treaty?"

"Yes." Oziel nodded. "He's making good on our alliance already."

"Mm, and there was no backlash from Lord Zon?"

"No, not that I've heard. It would seem House Venzor was eager to agree to the treaty. The borderlands have always had a good relationship with each other."