Beg For It

Nyctophobia [ nik-tuh-foh-bee-uh ] - noun Psychiatry: extreme or irrational fear of the night or of darkness.

One...

Two...

Three...

Breathe. Another few seconds, that's all you want; just precious moments to prove yourself.

Four...

Five...

Six...

Cold chills slither down your spine despite the hot water beating against your back. Your fingers work vigorously against your cheeks and along your forehead. What feels like a thousand pounds settles along your lashes, even though you know it's nothing more than marshmallowy-light foam.

Seven...

Eight...

Nin—

You spin around, nearly losing your footing in the shower as you angle your face under the spray from the showerhead. The heels of your palms press against your lids as you try to rid them of the foamy facial cleanser.

Air wheezes into your lungs, stray drops of water sucking between your parted lips as you try to breathe against the panic building in your chest. Jerking back from the spray, you open your eyes, wincing at the sting from the water-mixed-with-cleanser that drips from your lashes and floods the corners.

Nothing. There's nothing there. All you see is the steam-filled space of your shower, water pelting down at your feet, a smattering of bottles arranged on the lip of the tub, and the inside of your plain shower curtain.

You sigh, irritation itching in your chest. Not even nine seconds. You were trying for at least ten. It never fails to leave a bitter taste in your mouth whenever you can't seem to get a grip on yourself. It's just the dark. Hell, it's not even really the dark. It's just having your eyes closed against the bright fluorescent lights of your bathroom; a pseudo-darkness.

The unease in your stomach refuses to dissipate as you turn off the shower, step out, wrap yourself in a towel, and go through the routine of brushing your teeth and massaging moisturizer into your skin. You hang up your damp towel, quickly pulling on the oversized t-shirt and shorts you intend to sleep in.

Steam clouds the mirror. You don't typically care to wipe it away, not anymore. It's one of your small, personal victories—one you intentionally remind yourself of now after your panicked stint in the shower. It used to be that you couldn't stand not being able to see the space behind you through the reflective surface. Knowing if something lurked outside your line of sight, it couldn't hide from being exposed through the mirror. Being able to see behind you was all that mattered. Now, you take pride in not needing to see...yet, the niggling in the back of your head won't cease. So, you swipe a hand, collecting tiny beads of moisture on your palm as you go.

You're unsure why the act makes your heart beat a little harder. It's supposed to elicit the calm you so desperately need. But, once you've slashed a clear path across the mirror, your brow furrows as you lean in closer to it. Cold dread thunders through your veins as you jerk back, spinning on your heel to make sure what you saw through the mirror wasn't just your mind playing a trick on you.

Nope, not a trick or even a figment of your imagination...unfortunately.

You stare in paranoid disbelief at the slender gap along the bottom of the bathroom door. The door that leads into your bedroom where you are absolutely, without a doubt, positive you left your bedside lamp on. The gap is dark, like a void threatening to suck you right into an endless nightmare of unrelenting terror. All that's missing is a gaunt, skeletal hand sliding its too-long fingers under the door.