Chapter-16

Present time

Did he wanted to have a child with me? A child with a woman who despised him? The idea almost made me laugh in disbelief while my hands tightened with anger. However, my current helpless situation added to my frustration. They were set on marrying me today, and once that happened, these insatiable monsters would suffocate me. Whatever needed to be done, it had to be done within the limited time I had.

Marriage was a sacred bond between two people who loved each other, promising trust and love with God as their witness. It was meant to bring joy, not pain and suffering. The thought of any of them being near me filled me with disgust, just as much as the thought of marrying them did.

I hissed as the woman behind me did my hair as I looked into the mirror in front.

This exquisite silhouette forms a seamless stroke of elegance, stretching from head to toe like a magnificent pillar. Bare shoulders and décolletage bared to the world, it reveals a sweetheart neckline that moulds the bodice, accentuating the curve of my bosom. Draped in fabric as weightless as a floating feather, this gown is an ode to simplicity, gracefully hugging every contour with its floor-length design, adorned by a subtle trailing train in the rear. Departing from the traditional white, its hue is a captivating off-beige that complements my sun-kissed complexion with a mesmerizing luminosity. Messy hair toppled in a bun. A small pendant around my neck. Suffocating me.

I grit my teeth, my fists clenching on my sides. I tried to evade this for years, there was no escape now. My chest squeezed at the sharp flow of memories threatening to explode.

Ralph left moments after exploding the new reality of the situation, trying to give me little breathing room. I knew it was just an illusion, though. No matter what they said or did, they've never given me space. Not in all years have they ostensibly stayed away.

My eyes moved to the woman beside me as she analyse me through the mirror. "We shall go." I scoffed without looking at her. Did she not realise her 'masters' were forcibly marrying me? Did she not feel for me as a woman? What about the desire to help other women?

My eyes landed on tweezers as I sneakily hid them under my dress.

With steady steps, I tried not to trip and bunch the bottom of the dress in my hands as I followed after her. She nodded and walked ahead. Upon leaving the room, two guards unexpectedly appeared and began accompanying us from both sides. The more I walked, the more I felt the impending doom drawing near.

I was supposed to marry the man my father chose for me, Stefan Romano, only if I hadn't visited Ralph that unfateful day, Stefan would have been alive. It was not what I had imagined for my wedding day - I did not envision myself walking down the aisle to wed the man responsible for my fiancé's death.

My eyes welled up with tears as I experienced a burning sensation at the back of my throat. It was crucial for me to remain composed; revealing my vulnerability to them would only entertain them further. That's what they wanted, to see me broke, completely dependent on them.

The closer we get, the more my heart was palpitating. I trailed behind silently, descending the twisting staircase. I longed to glide my fingers along the beautifully crafted wooden railing as I carefully descended each step. With my other hand, I gathered my dress to prevent tripping over it. The sound of my heels echoed on the polished marble floor. Additional guards were stationed near a particular door.

Fighting against my emotions, I made a desperate attempt to hold back my tears, watching them land on the exquisite floor adorned with porcelain marbling. My mind was in turmoil, struggling to suppress the memories of the haunting trauma that still clung to me.